Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

trans cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default trans cooler install

I was thinking about towing my Cavalier to Texas with my Cherokee. I read that a trans cooler is pretty much a must, and I figured heavy duty shocks aren't super expensive and would also help.

I'm talking to Gerr about some front end stuff (thanks guys!) and he can get a trans cooler for me that's a bit better than a stock one. It involves cutting and splicing tranny lines. Anyone ever done that here? It's not that I don't trust Gerr's word that it won't be difficult. I just wanted tog et some idea as to what I'd be getting into if I decide to do that.

I figure if it sounds like something I don't want to get into maybe I can find a bolt in trans cooler.

I plan on giving the Jeep all new fluids anyway, so it would be a good time to put the cooler in since I'll have it pretty much drained anyway.

Is this a pretty easy job with jack stands and a floor jack?

I've had numerous questions and you guys have been a big help. Thanks for your input!
Old 07-23-2008, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

I havent changed my trans cooler yet it is stock but i dont think you will need a jack or jack stands. You just have to disassemble the front clip. The trans cooler sits right in front of the radiator. I can't remember if the lines are metal coming off of it or not. I think they are metal and then there is a hose clamp and it turns to rubber and then runs along the oil pan. Ofcourse i am not sure of any of this I fixed a leak from my tranny cooler line and i looked at it a lil. I also want to say that it was just plastic clips holding it to the radiator. Didnt look like a hard replacement. You shouldn't lose too much fluid if when you take the hoses off the cooler you elevate them, maybe at most a quart.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Autozone sells a TC that is called a Torque Flow Universal Transmission Cooler. It is $25.00, and works like a CHAMP!! It comes with zips that you put through the fins on the radiator and slip a collar over and that is what holds the cooler in place. It comes with every thing you need except for the two hose unions and a couple of hose clamps you'll need to do it right. Buy those at Lowes, they are called a 3/8" barbed hose union, $6.00 or less. Buy the clamps at (PART STORE NAME HERE). Find the line that is on the drivers side of the crank pulley and cut the rubber portion in half. Put the cooler in the loop with the hose unions and clamp them down. I found it easier to do this with the radiator out, but I was doing an entire cooling system at the time. I added about a half quart of fluid after all the air settled out of the system. I put the cooler on the front of the radiator right in front of my aux electric fan. I only use the fan when in four low or pulling etc... I don't have a gauge, but I have felt the lines after wheeling her pretty hard and I can hold my hand on them for quite a bit, I estimate around 180-200 degrees, about the same as my motor runs. Hope this helps, let me know if you have more ???? and I will walk you through the whole thing, later!!
Old 07-23-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
Hope this helps, let me know if you have more ???? and I will walk you through the whole thing, later!!

Thanks COS, that did help. If I have any more questions I'll let you know.