Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Trailer Hitch Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Trailer Hitch Compatibility

I'm looking around for a class III hitch for my '87 XJ. I see lots of hitches for Grand Cherokees. Looking them up from the hitch manufacturers, it looks like they have different part numbers. Anyone know if Grands and XJ hitches can be swapped?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

No
Old 04-04-2015, 12:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You NEED a hitch for an 84-2001 Jeep Cherokee (XJ). NOT Grand Cherokee. Try a local junkyard for cheap. The hitches need "nut strips" though. It's a 1 inch metal strip with large nuts welded onto it. The hitch comes up from the bottom of the frame, the nut strips slide INTO the rear frame, and the bolts screw up into the nutstrips. The rear bumper needs to be removed to insert the nut-strips then re-attached.

Dealer might have the nut strips. Bolts can be found at any hardware store. Don't forget lock washers AND a trailer wiring module. The Jeep Cherokee needs to be converted to a 4 light system with a special module. There is a plug and play version that taps into the wiring harness behind the spare tire large trim. Last I looked, Amazon carried the module for 35 bux.

A few hours of messing around. Not too bad unless you live in the rust belt and your rear bumper won't un-bolt. Spray with PB Blaster a week or so before attempting.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm surprised how many XJs didn't have hitches. I've been checking part-outs and haven't found one yet except for several Grands. I guess those are out though.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by 67 GMC
Thanks for the replies. I'm surprised how many XJs didn't have hitches. I've been checking part-outs and haven't found one yet except for several Grands. I guess those are out though.
If you can't find a good used one at the junkyard, a new Curt hitch for the XJ will run around $130 (I've seen them on sale for less too, I paid about $50 for mine as a "scratch & dent" special with just a few marks on the finish) and include the necessary hardware:
Amazon.com: Curt Manufacturing 13084 Class III Receiver: CURT: Automotive Amazon.com: Curt Manufacturing 13084 Class III Receiver: CURT: Automotive

Last edited by dmill89; 04-05-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:01 AM

Thanks Dmill89. Amazon has a good price for that. There's a big difference between CDN and US$ right now so trying to find something around here (20-25% depending on the day).
Old 04-06-2015, 09:30 AM

Year: 2000

Wasn't there a recall or something from Jeep where they would add a hitch? Something about it exploding or something in a rear end collision?
Old 04-06-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I-6

Originally Posted by dmill89
If you can't find a good used one at the junkyard, a new Curt hitch for the XJ will run around $130 (I've seen them on sale for less too, I paid about $50 for mine as a "scratch & dent" special with just a few marks on the finish) and include the necessary hardware: Amazon.com: Curt Manufacturing 13084 Class III Receiver: CURT: Automotive
This is the hitch that I put on my '00. Install took about 30 minutes (and I was so excited to put it on, I did it in the parking lot of my apartment while the wind was whipping up a nasty thunderstorm. Top half of me was protected while the bottom half was pelted by some hail). I couldn't be happier with it so far. Very sturdy and heavy duty enough.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:40 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0l

I put one of these on last year. It was $99 with shipping included.. Quality Reese piece..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/re...model/cherokee
Old 04-06-2015, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jooman07
Wasn't there a recall or something from Jeep where they would add a hitch? Something about it exploding or something in a rear end collision?
That was for GRAND Cherokees (ZJs specifically) and KJ Liberties.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1arunem
I put one of these on last year. It was $99 with shipping included.. Quality Reese piece..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/re...model/cherokee
I suppose it depends what you're towing, that hitch is only rated for 3,500 lb. (and more concerning only 350lb tongue weight) and only uses 2 of the 4 bolt holes on each side. It is definitely more lightly built than the OE hitch and "OE Equivalents", if you're only using it to hold a rack carrier or a light trailer (<2,000 lb., I wouldn't go pushing the limits of the rating) it is probably OK, but I'd personally get a 5,000 lb. hitch given the relatively small price difference even if I was never going to tow anything that heavy (especially since it gives you a good solid recovery point, I wouldn't trust that 3,500lb hitch that only uses half the bolts to pull the weight of the vehicle with).
Old 04-06-2015, 06:16 PM

Not sure what (or how much) you plan on pulling behind your Jeep, but I can tell you this one will safely handle whatever your Jeep XJ is rated to tow.

Also, that picture is not at all an accurate representation of the actual hitch. It does in fact have 4 bolt holes per side for mounting.

I have dealt with and had MANY different hitches. This one is a great buy for the money and installing it first hand, I will say it is more well built than you may think.

Seeing it in person, I would venture to guess it is pretty well underrated. I have no skin in the game, just thought I would share a good buy.

Here is a link to the hitch on the Reese website and an accurate picture. Looks pretty darn similar to the Curt unit.
http://www.reeseprod.com/products/tr...yPd3hFXaP3tHu8

Last edited by 1arunem; 04-06-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Reese makes good hitches.
But my concern with this hitch is only 4? Mounting bolts.
Don't the nut strips for a hitch have 4 on each side?
Old 04-06-2015, 06:28 PM

See my post, Summit's picture is misleading and they have done themselves a disservice by posting a picture of an inferior hitch.

The actual hitch (see my link to Reese website) does in fact have 4 holes per side and I would guess it is probably as well made as the Curt unit (nothing against it at all).

Plus the safety chain hooks on the Reese unit look more stout than the ones on the Curt.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by 1arunem
See my post, Summit's picture is misleading and they have done themselves a disservice by posting a picture of an inferior hitch.

The actual hitch (see my link to Reese website) does in fact have 4 holes per side and I would guess it is probably as well made as the Curt unit (nothing against it at all).

Plus the safety chain hooks on the Reese unit look more stout than the ones on the Curt.
Thanks-That looks pretty good to me. Great information here-Thanks for the replies.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Hitch Compatibility-reese.png  

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch Compatibility