Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

tracbar, pitman drop, crossover steering, shock sizing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default tracbar, pitman drop, crossover steering, shock sizing?

I need a longer tracbar and extreme drop pitman as well as some fresh shocks and an investment in some crossover steering as I've been told by some very helpful people in another thread. However, i'm not sure how tall the lift is or how to size any of these items as I bought my rig with a lift already installed. Its pretty tall, I have 33s that fit pretty easily with just a little bit of rubbing on the untrimmed fender flares when i turn my wheel all the way over. My guess is about 4-5inches. Can anyone help or ofter a method of determining how to size this up?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

If you measure from the wheel centre to the bottom of the flare you will see how much you gained. Stock is 17 1/2" inches at the front and 17" at the rear. If you have removed your flares you can then measure from the flat round bumpstop area inside at the bottom of the coil spring up to the top of the spring isolator, where it meets the bottom of spring tower at the front. Front stock is 11 1/4" this way. For the rear you can measure from the top of the axle to the bottom of the frame rail, right above the bump stop. Stock is 6 1/4" for the D35 and 6" for the 8.25 and D44.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:22 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Eric90XJ
I need a longer tracbar and extreme drop pitman as well as some fresh shocks and an investment in some crossover steering as I've been told by some very helpful people in another thread. However, i'm not sure how tall the lift is or how to size any of these items as I bought my rig with a lift already installed. Its pretty tall, I have 33s that fit pretty easily with just a little bit of rubbing on the untrimmed fender flares when i turn my wheel all the way over. My guess is about 4-5inches. Can anyone help or ofter a method of determining how to size this up?
extreme drop pitman arm sound like a good idea? Look at it, EXTREME drop pitman arm. Look into an otk cross over steering setup. and definatley brace your steering box
Old 03-29-2010, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a pic of my suspension that I posted before. Sorry to carry this over to another thread but it sounds like someone may have an opinion on my situation. Thanks for looking.
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2010, 11:46 PM
CF Veteran

my opinion is you are way to high. if you wanna stay that high you are guna pay to make it work right. the stock inverted y steering is not meant for such high angles. fix the that is buy a different steering setup. An EXTREME drop pitman arm is like puting a 6ft cheater bar on a 1/4in ratchet, might work, might break

Shop around for steering setups and look at what other people that are that high (arent that many) are running for steering