Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

tps replaced

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline Six H.O.
Default tps replaced

i finally got around to showing the jeep some love this week. got a new tps for it and got home at 11:50 at night and had it in at 12:00am lol. just want to post it in case anyone was wondering about them, when i was looking i didnt really see much on them. also got some torque adding modded seat covers. pics in profile later

The problems:
i had a funky idle. stalled if you choked it up when giving it gas and the idle was very low. it didnt idle so low that it rocked the vehicle like ive seen other posts here describing for other problems, but it was low or stalled haha.
CEL was on, checked the code myself and used charts on this site for reference. was signaling the tps. also i had shifting issues from time to time.. it was like the jeep was gearing down when you go about passing someone except i was not passing anyone nor intending to.. it just geared down for no reason and no pedal movement. i had to keep the pedal in weird positions for it to drive normally, i guess due to the way the sensor was faulty or w/e its issue was

Temp fix:
since i was intent on driving around, i disconnected the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator. it gave it a higher rpm, which with the bad tps is just higher than it normall should have been. gas mpg was digusting. not recommending that anyone do this, because ive never messed with vacuums further than making sure they are connected. haha. i dont know if it could cause another issue or what but like i said, it was a temp fix. and not much driving on it at all

The fix:
i had heard to get a mopar tps from the dealerships, but im dirt broke... $37 for BWD tps from advanced auto. i usually use napa for electronics but they didnt have it in stock. so far i drove it to a buddys house and back and all is well.

Pics:
(found in my albums)

hopefully something in this thread helps someone.. just felt the need to post it and try to give back. i love this site

edit* oil pressure gauge was giving me a high pressure before the the new tps went in. i don't believe the tps affected the oil pressure reading. i did disconnect and reconnect the plug thats near the oil filter though. since then my guage is reading correctly. went down the road again a litle while ago.. everythings still ok!

Last edited by JeepPockets; 02-24-2012 at 09:06 AM.