Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Towing Question

Old 02-28-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Towing Question

I want to tow my XJ with my other XJ, and I got to go about 100 miles. I was thinking of buying a tow dolly, or maybe rent one. Should it be fine if I did this, or should I go different route. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2010, 04:17 PM

Year: 1999

a dolly would be perfect, just remember to put the t-case in nuetral
Old 02-28-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by cherokeefreak
a dolly would be perfect, just remember to put the t-case in nuetral
Ya that what I was thinking, but someone over here told me I could not do it. I have the towing package on it and got the ball, I guess I will see how it goes, thanks
Old 02-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

just keep it out of o/d, mine dumped fluid out of the vent after a couple of hours at 60. Went back with o/d off and all was well.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:17 PM

The Jeep that I'm am towing is 4x4 5sp. Should I leave it in neutral or put it in a gear while towing? And, if so what gear?
Old 02-28-2010, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tow dolly my jeep to and from the trails. Dont have the cash for a proper tow rig and trailer. what i found best is to put the jeep on the tow dolly, take take off the driveshaft at the rear axle and bungee it up and out of harms way. Thus it wont pee fluid. Then put the jeep into 4Lo and trans in park. This will make the front tires not rock in the tow dolly. Safer in my mind that having the jeep in neutral and the wheels able to roll slightly when braking and accelerating. Which might cause the safety straps to come unhooked.

I use to just put the Transfer case in neutral, and just roll like that untill one day someone pulled out in front of me and i had to hit the brakes pretty hard, one of the wheel straps broke and the jeep leaped forward and off of the tow dolly. Not cool at all!!!!!

You can see one portion of the strap still connected to the ratcheting device on the tow dolly, and the other portion by the rear wheel.

Then without a back up tire strap, I came up with putting the T/C in 4lo, and trans in park to help keep the front tires planted while I limped the rest of the way home.

I think if i had the Transfer cause in 4lo and trans in Park would of helped this from happening,...

Just remember. Be Safe, tow slow, and give yourself max following distance,... and DONT GO FASTER THAN 55!!!! The Jeep on the tow dolly will sway side to side like something violently!!!! Learned that one out the hard way. Everyone on the interstate backed away from me pretty quick until i had to slow down to 35 to get it to stop.

Last edited by Mattpar; 02-28-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mattpar
I tow dolly my jeep to and from the trails. Dont have the cash for a proper tow rig and trailer. what i found best is to put the jeep on the tow dolly, take take off the driveshaft at the rear axle and bungee it up and out of harms way. Thus it wont pee fluid. Then put the jeep into 4Lo and trans in park. This will make the front tires not rock in the tow dolly. Safer in my mind that having the jeep in neutral and the wheels able to roll slightly when braking and accelerating. Which might cause the safety straps to come unhooked.

I use to just put the Transfer case in neutral, and just roll like that untill one day someone pulled out in front of me and i had to hit the brakes pretty hard, one of the wheel straps broke and the jeep leaped forward and off of the tow dolly. Not cool at all!!!!!

You can see one portion of the strap still connected to the ratcheting device on the tow dolly, and the other portion by the rear wheel.

Then without a back up tire strap, I came up with putting the T/C in 4lo, and trans in park to help keep the front tires planted while I limped the rest of the way home.

I think if i had the Transfer cause in 4lo and trans in Park would of helped this from happening,...

Just remember. Be Safe, tow slow, and give yourself max following distance,... and DONT GO FASTER THAN 55!!!! The Jeep on the tow dolly will sway side to side like something violently!!!! Learned that one out the hard way. Everyone on the interstate backed away from me pretty quick until i had to slow down to 35 to get it to stop.
Thanks for all the info. I will definitely NOT will be going over 55, is yours a automatic or a 5 speed? I guess I'm going to leave the transfer case in 4low and leave it in gear that why it does not rock so much.. I don't want to experience what you did on the road sound like it really sucked!
Old 02-28-2010, 08:04 PM

mine is an automatic
Old 02-28-2010, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Do the people who keep saying it will be fine, actually tow anything of this kind of weight???

Look even with the tow package.. the maximum tow rating was 3500lbs. A bone stock XJ weighs nearly that when completely empty. 3400 and change IIRC.

Many states require brakes on any towed vehicle(or trailer) with a weight over 3k. Here is a link to individual state laws. http://www.campinglife.com/output.cfm?id=1047259

Your XJ absolutely does NOT have sufficient braking ability to stop another XJ safely on the road. The braking ability of an XJ is barely adequate for stopping an XJ, especially one that has been modified increasing its weight.

A PROPERLY equipped ZJ was rated at 5500lbs towing rating. Properly equipped meaning brake controller, weight distributing hitch, auto tranny and transmission cooler.

Wheel straps in good condition don't break.....

The Owners Manual states that if you are flat towing an automatic XJ with a NP231.. Put it in park, put the T-case in neutral

Last edited by whowey; 02-28-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:02 PM

Well I made it back safe and with out no incidents. It took me a long time to get back home but rather safe than sorry. I ended up just taking out the drive shaft and putting it in gear, and transfer case in 4 low. It seemed to work out pretty well. Thanks for all the info everyone it was much appreciated!
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2010, 05:31 PM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by whowey
Do the people who keep saying it will be fine, actually tow anything of this kind of weight???

Look even with the tow package.. the maximum tow rating was 3500lbs. A bone stock XJ weighs nearly that when completely empty. 3400 and change IIRC.

Many states require brakes on any towed vehicle(or trailer) with a weight over 3k. Here is a link to individual state laws. http://www.campinglife.com/output.cfm?id=1047259

Your XJ absolutely does NOT have sufficient braking ability to stop another XJ safely on the road. The braking ability of an XJ is barely adequate for stopping an XJ, especially one that has been modified increasing its weight.

A PROPERLY equipped ZJ was rated at 5500lbs towing rating. Properly equipped meaning brake controller, weight distributing hitch, auto tranny and transmission cooler.

Wheel straps in good condition don't break.....

The Owners Manual states that if you are flat towing an automatic XJ with a NP231.. Put it in park, put the T-case in neutral

and look, he made it back just fine
Old 03-01-2010, 05:33 PM

Is that a Grand Wagoneer I spy in the back ground!!!! Very nice!

Glad to see you made it back ok!
Old 03-01-2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by whowey
Flat towing it would mean all 4 wheels on the ground. Meaning the Jeep he is towing would have to have tow bar on the front. Which it did not
Old 03-01-2010, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Mattpar
Flat towing it would mean all 4 wheels on the ground. Meaning the Jeep he is towing would have to have tow bar on the front. Which it did not
Tow dolly recommendations are exactly the same... nice try...
Old 03-01-2010, 07:21 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cherokeefreak
and look, he made it back just fine
Thanks for an extremely adult and helpful post.... Its fairly obvious you have done ZERO towing safely.

Just because he got lucky, doesn't mean that A. it was legal.. or B. it was smart. or C. It was safe.

Last edited by whowey; 03-01-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing Question