Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Towing points?! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing points?! Help!

I Have a 98 XJ. I have an aftermarket bumper that has d-ring mounts on it. My question is should I use the d-rings on my bumpers to pull someone out/get pulled out?! Or should I get after market tow hooks that go on the unibody? Please help! Any advise will help!!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO

If your bumper had D-ring mounts it probably should have come with "frame" tie-ins (though not all do), if it didn't come with tie-ins it is highly recommended you add some (buy/make) before doing any recovery.

Here are some links to tie-in kits, or you can make your own if you can cut and drill 1/4" (preferred) or 1/8" (minimum) plate:

http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJMISC/XJUNF.html
http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/fron...-brackets.html
Old 12-18-2014, 09:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Be careful, peeps get killed doing this
Old 12-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 renix

That coulda been a lot worse. See the one where the guys on the dunes got the tops of their heads taken off?

Ya....I won't link that one.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:58 PM

Ok so the bumper I have now does tie into the frame with the 3 bolts but stops before the power steering box bolts is that what you guys are talking about?
Old 12-19-2014, 12:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 Liter

Originally Posted by GallasCherokee
Ok so the bumper I have now does tie into the frame with the 3 bolts but stops before the power steering box bolts is that what you guys are talking about?
Is that an Idaho plate I see? Where you at? I'm up in Moscow! Anyway, if its just attached with 3 bolts like this

Name:  Hanson_front_mount_1.jpg
Views: 3344
Size:  23.5 KB

Then its not tied in to the frame well and you should pick up some tie-in plates liked what was linked above.

If it's something like this or similar

Name:  06.jpg
Views: 2118
Size:  11.2 KB

Then you're all set man
Old 12-19-2014, 05:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

only that one doesn't have the tie ins bolted any more than a stock bumper would.

those accidents wouldn't have happened if their equipment wasn't jerry rigged or shoddy built.

don't cheap out when it comes to safety. get a bumper with proper tie ins and use all the tie in bolts for petes sake.

as for the rear, simplest is a trailer hitch and d shackle insert.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:52 AM

I'm in boise!
Old 12-19-2014, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by ThatDude114
Is that an Idaho plate I see? Where you at? I'm up in Moscow! Anyway, if its just attached with 3 bolts like this

Then its not tied in to the frame well and you should pick up some tie-in plates liked what was linked above.

If it's something like this or similar

Then you're all set man
^This, you'll notice that the stock bumper attachment points aren't very strong (they were never designed for pulling, stock tow-hooks also came with tie-in brackets that pick up a hole further back the rail), the front two aren't even into the boxed part of the rail, just a flat sheet metal "extension" in front of the cross-member, the third one is in the boxed part of the rail (barely) but is a weld-nut that only picks up one side of the rail and is not much stronger than the others. You want tie-ins (like the ones linked and shown above) that go back an pick up the stock tow-hook mount hole (and steering box bolts on the driver side as well) which is well into the boxed section of the rail and goes all the way through.

Here's what the brackets/tie-ins that came with my bumper look like, you can see they pick up several more holes than stock like the others linked and shown in this post, that is what you want for recovery. Also make sure to use Grade 5(minimum) or Grade 8 (preferred) hardware.

Last edited by dmill89; 12-19-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:38 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by dmill89
^This, you'll notice that the stock bumper attachment points aren't very strong (they were never designed for pulling, stock tow-hooks also came with tie-in brackets that pick up a hole further back the rail), the front two aren't even into the boxed part of the rail, just a flat sheet metal "extension" in front of the cross-member, the third one is in the boxed part of the rail (barely) but is a weld-nut that only picks up one side of the rail and is not much stronger than the others. You want tie-ins (like the ones linked and shown above) that go back an pick up the stock tow-hook mount hole (and steering box bolts on the driver side as well) which is well into the boxed section of the rail and goes all the way through. Here's what the brackets/tie-ins that came with my bumper look like, you can see they pick up several more holes than stock like the others linked and shown in this post, that is what you want for recovery. Also make sure to use Grade 5(minimum) or Grade 8 (preferred) hardware.
I am not clear about your use of stock. Do you mean the " stock" bumper? I have been on the lookout for the factory installed optional tow hooks for my 2000 XJ. Are these sufficiently braced for vehicle recovery?
Old 12-23-2014, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kycheokee
I am not clear about your use of stock. Do you mean the " stock" bumper? I have been on the lookout for the factory installed optional tow hooks for my 2000 XJ. Are these sufficiently braced for vehicle recovery?
I'm referring to the 3 bolts holes at the front of the rail that the stock bumper attaches to. An aftermarket bumper designed for recovery (has D-ring mounts, etc.) should have tie-in plates that go further back the frame and pick up more bolts in stronger parts of the frame (not all aftermarket bumpers come with these though and you should add them before attempting to use your bumper for recovery if it did not come with them).

Below is a diagram of the tie-ins that came with my bumper explaining the stock vs. additional holes:

You could use OE tow hooks if you want to, but be careful with sideways pulls, the stock tow hook brackets are sufficient for recovery, but still are made of sheet metal (albeit heavy gauge) and aren't exceptionally strong. If you already have an aftermarket bumper with D-ring mounts but lacks tie-ins your best bet is to add tie ins, these will be stronger as the bumper itself adds bracing for sideways pulls and most aftermarket bumpers and tie-ins will be thicker steel than the OE tow hook mounts (also likely much cheaper, the Dirtbound tie-ins are only $36 + hardware while OE style tow-hooks generally run around $100).

This side pic of the dirtbound tie-ins also shows you how many more holes they pick up vs. the 3 stock bumper mount holes at the front:

Last edited by dmill89; 12-24-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:56 AM

Yes mine only have the there bolts it doesn't go back all the way. So do I need to weld a better bracket on or how does that work?!
Old 12-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 Liter

You can just buy a set of frame tie ins. Theres no welding or anything, they just sandwich between the frame and your current bumper mounts.