Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Towing...Am I forgetting anything?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust
Default Towing...Am I forgetting anything?

Hey guys, I'm am about to pull a 5x10 U-haul trailer w/serge brakes across country (from Louisiana to Montana.. I have done it before... never with a trailer) with my XJ. It will probably weight about 4000 lbs (not including lift/tires/sliders etc) and I have pulled pontoon boats, bass boats, other cars etc. many many times before. (just never 2200 miles) I just need to know If I am forgetting anything/need to do anything else before I leave. Also any tips for pulling something that far with the XJ would be helpful. (the Pontoon Boat was a nightmare... I couldn't see anything lol)

What I have/What I've done: (past week)

Dana 44 in the rear with larger disk brakes

Weight Distributing Hitch (rated for 5.5k, ball rated at 6k and 6" drop hitch rated at 5.5k)

Transmission Cooler (I straightened out the fins)

New Water Pump/Thermostat

Flushed the coolant after install of Water Pump/Thermostat- added Amsoil supercool stuff (really helps if you guys have never used it.. runs about 5 degrees cooler all the time)

Changed all oils (engine/dif/tranny)
New Spark Plugs
New Belt
Greased all zerks
Tightened all bolts
New Air Filter
New Brake Pads

And thats about it... I just don't want to have any problems half way across. Currently with 165k miles on it, my jeep has no problems.. no leaks, no squeals etc... just want to keep it that way Thanks

Last edited by Ianf406; 09-10-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

New belt and use old as spare, take it with you.

Pull and check plugs for gap and inspect wires cap rotor

Inspect all lug nuts, check your spare and jack and what not, throw in a tire repair kit.

Just took a 1500+ mile round trip myself. I know that paranoia lol
Old 09-10-2012, 12:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

Oh and mine had 200k on it when we left for the trip... and we weren't hauling anything but ***
Old 09-10-2012, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Don't forget a tool set. Just in case. Take it nice and easy and don't try to push your luck and take you time. And the most important thing is have a safe trip.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Take it easy on the passes. What part of Montana are you going to?
Old 09-10-2012, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Thanks guys... I will def. have my tools with me I usually do it by myself in one straight shot but this time my wife/baby will be in our new Tacoma and I will have the dogs in the jeep. We are going to split it into 4 days (Tulsa/Colorado Springs/Billings/Missoula) so it will be like four 8-10 hour days.. not too terrible.
Good idea with the old belt.. Ill keep that with me.

Originally Posted by sthon
Take it easy on the passes. What part of Montana are you going to?
Last stop is Missoula ( Family has a spare house in french town). We will both be going to school there w/ our GI Bills. I am from Billings but the Army sent me here to this swamp

Last edited by Ianf406; 09-10-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ianf406
Last stop is Missoula ( Family has a spare house in french town). We will both be going to school there w/ our GI Bills. I am from Billings but the Army sent me here to this swamp
I'm originally from Missoula. Ex army myself, I was stationed in VA though.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

I'm originally from Missoula. Ex army myself, I was stationed in VA though.
Awesome! Do you know of any good trails in that area? I've done lots of them up there but never in that area.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

There are some decent areas right outside of town up Blue Mountain. On the southside of town at the old army base Fort Missoula they have tank trails, nothing really that great but there's a few water holes and decent hills. The cops come by once and a while and chase people off but they don't give tickets afaik. A few hours north of Missoula near flathead lake is Wild Bill OHV. There's also a lot of trails up the bitterroot.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

There are some decent areas right outside of town up Blue Mountain. On the southside of town at the old army base Fort Missoula they have tank trails, nothing really that great but there's a few water holes and decent hills. The cops come by once and a while and chase people off but they don't give tickets afaik. A few hours north of Missoula near flathead lake is Wild Bill OHV. There's also a lot of trails up the bitterroot.
Cool thanks! Yea I have done the Morrison and spent alot of time in the priors but never too much in that area. I know our house is right on the edge of the forest service and there are a ton of logging roads but I don't know if I can go on them or not.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

If you're in an area that isn't flat, you might want to leave it in 3rd to help keep trans temps down even more.

You'll be happy you're geared. I just pulled my boat 4 hours over labor day weekend with the stock gears and 32's. The ozarks of missouri were very slow going haha.

Make sure your sway bars are on.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ianf406
Cool thanks! Yea I have done the Morrison and spent alot of time in the priors but never too much in that area. I know our house is right on the edge of the forest service and there are a ton of logging roads but I don't know if I can go on them or not.
I lived out in Huson for a while (Next exit on I90 W from Frenchtown) My house bordered the national forest. There are a lot of old logging roads and even some old mining roads in the area, a good amount of them are still open. The forest service has been closing more and more roads each year. I left the area at the end of last summer so I don't know if much has changed this year.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zimdogg
If you're in an area that isn't flat, you might want to leave it in 3rd to help keep trans temps down even more.

You'll be happy you're geared. I just pulled my boat 4 hours over labor day weekend with the stock gears and 32's. The ozarks of missouri were very slow going haha.

Make sure your sway bars are on.
I second this, I used to Install hitches for Uhaul and we always tell people to stay out of OD. OD is fine on flats, but switch out when inclining and declining. With in junction with OD, do not use cruise control its hard on the tranny too when towing.

Just don't treat it like a hot rod and give yourself plenty time to stop. Load trailer 60% of load ahead of axles to reduce chance of swaying. Read safety tips on uhauls web site, they r informative.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Take it slow and easy.......mathematically, 4.56 gears are needed with 35" tires to get u back to the same mechanical leverage as stock 3.55 gears with stock 28" tires.......and the math doesn't take into account the extra 1K lbs of mods added to your XJ, or the added wind resistance of a box trailer.

How old is the radiator and fan clutch.....fan shroud intact/in place? Be safe and good luck.......and thanks to u and all the others for your service to this great country.

Last edited by djb383; 09-10-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:23 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks guys! Yea I know my gearing is slightly off (I switched to 35's in Louisiana because its all mud... no rocks) I will be going to back to 33's my next set. I still have no problems power wise (can easily cruise at 70 towing a bass boat and have never had a problem spinning the tires) but there is a noticeable difference with my take off with the 35s.

I will check out U-hauls web site. Thanks for the tip!

Radiator is original (at least the same one It had when I bought it with 20k miles on it) but I flush it myself quite a bit. It is still in good shape. I replaced the fan clutch about 15k ago so it should still be good. Fan shroud is good and I have an aftermarket electric fan that does well. I have done as much as I could think of (hood vents etc) to keep it running cool in LA and so far all is well in that department.

I plan on going slow and avoiding the stop/go cities whenever possible.

Thanks for the help guys. My nerves are going crazy with the tow impending... I know it is going to be stressful lol.

Quick Reply: Towing...Am I forgetting anything?