Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Torque converter locks in Drive at Idle - 1997 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Torque converter locks in Drive at Idle - 1997 XJ

I have a 1997 Jeep XJ 4.0 and the torque converter locks up when I'm sitting at idle in the driveway and in Drive. The Jeep idles fine in Park, Reverse, Neutral.

I bought this Jeep a year ago and replaced a bunch of stuff, fuel pump, battery, computer, IAC, TPS, CPS.

My handheld scanner refuses to connect to the computer. This is a new problem because when I first bought the Jeep the scanner would read the data codes fine.

My gauges aren't working correctly. I've done the famous XJ 4 ground wires check under the hood. The upgraded Gauge cluster works fine with the TRIP button key test but the Tach isn't working, not sure about the speedometer yet since I can't keep the Jeep running in Drive.

I did some research, there's 2 wiring harness connectors next to the transmission dipstick under the hood. I disconnected one wiring harness and the engine wouldn't do anything, no click on key turn, nothing. I reconnected that first wiring harness under the hood and disconnected the 2nd wiring harness connector, turned the key, the engine started and ran good. Shifted into Drive and everything was ok, the engine ran good and didn't try to stall like it did with the 2nd wiring harness connected, but now NONE of my gauges work where before the Fuel, Battery and Temp gauges at least worked.

This could still possibly be a bad ground wire, not sure.

Maybe the transmission computer under the dash, drivers side needs replaced? I mean, disconnecting the transmission wiring harness under the hood by the dipstick did allow me to drive the jeep around the driveway.

I obviously can't drive the Jeep with the transmission wiring harness unplugged but this test did tell me the torque converter solenoid wasn't mechanically locked up so it has to be an electrical problem somewhere.

Anyone have an idea what's going on? Am I on the right path, maybe it's a bad transmission computer? I doubt there's any way to test a transmission computer without expensive shop equipment.