Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Torn/Ripped Side of Driver Seat

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Torn/Ripped Side of Driver Seat

So I just sold my 00 Police Pkg XJ and picked up a SUPER nice 2000 loaded classic w/under 100k that I plan on keeping for a while now.

All in all it's a very nice unit with just a few minor things that need fixed- one of those things being the driver seat.

Both my 00 XJS have had the same problem- the leather/vinyl on the door side of the driver seat tears/rips and leaves white cotton stuff exposed. I want to get this fixed, but am wondering what the best way is to go about this. Some guys on here have talked about replacement seats- if I do that i want an OEM seat to match the rest of the interior.

So- am I best of trying to go to the local upholsterer and have them restuff the seat and fix the side repair (would probably have to recover it)

OR- is there a place online that I can buy just the bottom cushion- keep in mind though I want the OEM fabric/material- don't want a mismatch... Please if you know a place I can get something provide a website and please do not use tons of acronyms- this the part of the reason why I'm having to post a new thread because there are other threads on point but people use too many acronyms and I have no idea where or how to get ahold of a seat cushion.

OR- any other suggestions? Junkyard?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

I don't know where you can get one brand new. But I wouldn't bother with the junkyard cause that rip is INSANELY common in our jeeps and you'd probably find it in any one you'll find. I have it and it doesn't bother me. Sorry I couldn't be more help
Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 PM

I should specify I'd take a used one also

Another question I had- would a passenger side cushion fit on the driver side seat?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

I had some work done at an upholstery shop for an old pick up and I was suprised how reasonable the price was.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:30 PM

Year: 2001

I had that same panel replaced on my XJ, it is Limited with Leather seats. The sides of the seats are vinyl. They found oem type vinyl that matched the original, took it all apart and replaced the panel. Cost me $250 which was slightly high, but there was stitching to be done so it would match.

They told me Jeep/Chrysler seats are known to wear easily. But anytime you get in and out a million times it will wear out.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by aerojt
I had that same panel replaced on my XJ, it is Limited with Leather seats. The sides of the seats are vinyl. They found oem type vinyl that matched the original, took it all apart and replaced the panel. Cost me $250 which was slightly high, but there was stitching to be done so it would match.

They told me Jeep/Chrysler seats are known to wear easily. But anytime you get in and out a million times it will wear out.

That sounds insanely high priced- i've found an entire seat on ebay for that...
Old 01-24-2012, 03:04 PM

Year: 2001

I agree, they did a really nice job though. Finding another leather xj seat on ebay is kind of tough though, the cloth ones are everywhere.

My Jeep only has 65k on it so it wasn't worth scrapping the whole seat, most likely I woulda bought a used seat with crushed down foam and even more wear on the leather off ebay.

I did see a set on there, full leather, heated, etc for an XJ, identical to mine, they wanted $800 - Tempting to buy and just store for spares!