Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tomken gas tank skid

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Tomken gas tank skid

Anyone that has put on this skid (2000 XJ) have any tips ????

I spent all day Sunday trying to get this thing on (by myself) and it
just does not seem to fit correctly. Tomken says it will fit with exhaust pipe heat shield in place ??? I did have a couple beers after trying the
3rd time .................

I also finally got the rear bumper off to install nutstrip on driver side.
I found a set of angle/flex ratchet type wrenches at Harbor Freight and this was the ONLY tool that could get on the underside/inside of the bumper.
Then you can get to the nuts on the bumper bracket much easier.

thanks, Randy from Oceanside
Old 07-09-2013, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Surprised to hear you're having issues with the skid plate. I was thinking about gettin that. Can't beat the price. Tomken is pretty good, I've got their lift & rear bumper/tire carrier & had no problems installing either. Hope you figure it out, post up pictures once you do.
Good luck
Old 07-13-2013, 01:41 PM

Default Tomken skid update

FOLKS: SO -- to get it on with one person is a challenge. It gets hung up on the passenger gas tank J-BOLT (slightly bent) and also the heat shield. I should have taken off the heat shield and not messed with it at all. You will need a good floor jack and also a 2-4 ton bottle jack for front side. I couple 4X4 wood pieces help also. You pretty much have to force the front end of the SKID past the heat shield by using the bottle jack. Quickly put on the 2
J-Bolt nuts, then let it hang loose.
Now your rear end mounting holes will be off (askew) about 1/4". One side will line up (put your drivers side bolts in loose), then use a C-Clamp to tighten the skid to Jeep. You will have to have someone push the skid slightly to line up passenger side holes.
Problem #2: Why in the H_____ would you need blue loctite on tailpipe/heat shield mounting bolts ??!!!!! I am putting on the tow hitch now and both hanger bolts need a 2 ft breaker bar for each turn of the bolt -- not just the initial release turn. This is crazy. The tailpipe also gets
in the way now that you have less room with the skid on. Tip: loosen or take off the hanger bracket bolts BEFORE putting the Tomken skid on.

Each bolt is taking about an hour due to cussing and drinking breaks.

A hanger bolt does not need LOCTITE !!!!

Randy from Oceanside PS: the hitch source also sent me a different one than what I picked out from PICTURE. Did not want the hitch channel to be lower than the hitch bar.......