Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tires

Old 01-14-2010, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Tires

So im looking for new 31s and i found this treadwright site and the tires look legit, is anyone running a re tread tire?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

I can remember but I lot of people on this and other forums I'm on are and like them
Old 01-16-2010, 06:55 PM

I ran them on my 2 door chevy blazer I used to have they were great you can even call up and see what carcass's they have available with what treads I picked 30x9.5 BF Goodrich All-Terrain carcass's they were a little noisy due to the fact that I bought i think the crawler tread but other than that held up great on and off road i put about 9000 miles on the truck before I sold it and thread still looked brand new
Old 01-16-2010, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

I've heard lots of great things about their tires, if I weren't going to be going bigger I'd definitely get a set of those for my Jeep.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:40 PM

Year: 1998

Yeah i have yet to hear anything bad so i think when i change ill go to them
Old 01-18-2010, 09:11 PM

Year: 1994

ive done a lot of looking for info about them also and as soon as i pick a size tire im going to stay with ill probably end up getting a set of them. i cant find anything bad written about their tires.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

I run the 31" MTG's an they look great and handle great off road. How ever I would not run them on a daily driver, mine are pretty noisy and groan quite a bit when stopping. Offroad couldn't be happier onroad I'd go a different route. I had a set of Mud tires before and they didn't groan and weren't anywhere near as loud as these.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:56 PM

actually my buddy just put the 31x10.5 guard dog M/T's on his lifted GMC Canyon and he has absolutely zero road noise i didnt believe so i made him take me out on the high way and around town in it and he was right there isnt any so i guess it just goes by what tread pattern you get
Old 01-18-2010, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jjagr41390
actually my buddy just put the 31x10.5 guard dog M/T's on his lifted GMC Canyon and he has absolutely zero road noise i didnt believe so i made him take me out on the high way and around town in it and he was right there isnt any so i guess it just goes by what tread pattern you get
Tread pattern is everything as it relates to road noise on a mud tire. My Maxxis Bighorns(fantastic tire BTW) are loud as all hell on the road....but the BFG muds I have up front are reasonably quite. I'm running 31s too...I love the Bighorns but I'm probably gonna switch it up and play the field some with my next set, i'm thinking cooper STTs or KM2s...I may even consider a set of Krawlers
Old 01-18-2010, 10:46 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

I heard somewhere that if you run re-tread tires you should only run them on the back of the car due to more steering in the front and the re-treads aren't as strong as regular tires but dont quote me on that as im not for sure. I bought 2 re-tread tires for a 90 model wrangler i had and i needed some cheap tires asap and i got the 30.9.50 with a BFG mud terrain tread pattern. They did awesome on the road but didn't do so well off-road. there wasn't much depth in the tread pattern as well. I just wouldn't run them on my DD. Seem more dangerous to me.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:02 PM

I ran mine as a DD and they were worked fine they just were a little loud i actually brought them to a sears to have them installed and the guy didnt even know they were retreads until after i told him then he said the same thing like you did that they were unsafe so i went home and did my research on treadwright but they got great reviews people driving 25k a year on them as a DD as well as off road use and they still had a decent amount of tread left on them so they cant be that bad
Old 01-18-2010, 11:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Metlic53
I heard somewhere that if you run re-tread tires you should only run them on the back of the car due to more steering in the front and the re-treads aren't as strong as regular tires but dont quote me on that as im not for sure. I bought 2 re-tread tires for a 90 model wrangler i had and i needed some cheap tires asap and i got the 30.9.50 with a BFG mud terrain tread pattern. They did awesome on the road but didn't do so well off-road. there wasn't much depth in the tread pattern as well. I just wouldn't run them on my DD. Seem more dangerous to me.
Thats an old wive's tale from back when re-treads were actually unsafe to be driven on the road. Thats not true at all today though, most tractor trailers run retreads on them..and they're DOT approved. and I do believe that Treadwright re-treads meet DOT standards in all 50 states but there are two where re-treads are flat out illegal to be run on vehicles. If I weren't going to a bigger tire size I'd definitely invest in a set of treadwrights, they're cheaper than new tires, eco-friendly and just as good as new tires from everything I've read.

Originally Posted by jjagr41390
I ran mine as a DD and they were worked fine they just were a little loud i actually brought them to a sears to have them installed and the guy didnt even know they were retreads until after i told him then he said the same thing like you did that they were unsafe so i went home and did my research on treadwright but they got great reviews people driving 25k a year on them as a DD as well as off road use and they still had a decent amount of tread left on them so they cant be that bad
X2 treadwright makes good stuff. I've heard a good 20-25 ppl weigh in on them and only 1-2 had anything bad to say about them
Old 01-18-2010, 11:12 PM

the road noise is all about whats in the vehicle to dampen it and put retreads on a jeep come on these things arent heavy enough for it to matter i wouldnt put them on my dually i dont care how cheap or well rated and reviewed they are ive seen tread sling off a dually... yeah fiderglass fenders and cheap not two words that will ever be put together
Old 01-18-2010, 11:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

yeah i was going to say that thats about all tractor trailers run. Its just personal preference i guess.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:15 PM

[QUOTE=ZachsXJ;394424]Thats an old wive's tale from back when re-treads were actually unsafe to be driven on the road. Thats not true at all today though, most tractor trailers run retreads on them..and they're DOT approved. and I do believe that Treadwright re-treads meet DOT standards in all 50 states but there are two where re-treads are flat out illegal to be run on vehicles. If I weren't going to a bigger tire size I'd definitely invest in a set of treadwrights, they're cheaper than new tires, eco-friendly and just as good as new tires from everything I've read.

big rigs only run them in the winter if you watch when it starts to warm up youll see more and more tread strips from semis..those are retreads my uncle drives for a living this came strait from him and experienced 30 yeat road vet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires