Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tips for Cleaning Throttle Body and Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l I6
Default Tips for Cleaning Throttle Body and Injectors

So I am doing my first ever semi rebuild (thats what I call it). I am going to disconnect and clean everything and pull the engine and have a local shop rebuild it.

Right now I have disconnected the Throttle Body, Fuel Rail and injectors. What are some good words of wisdom to clean these. The throttle body is dripping with oil (which is why im rebuilding) and the injectors are caked with gunk. Also on top of that how would I clean the intake manifold? Alot of oil has went through the throttle body and down into there.

I am just very excited to have the funds and am able to squeeze some time into this rebuild. This Cherokee will be my commuter for YEARS. So I want to do it right.

I really would just try to rebuild it myself but my wife and kids would kill me if I spent tha tmuch more time on the Jeep.

Who has input?

Is it cheaper to take it somewhere and have someone rebuild it? Or simply buy an engine and put it in myself?

Last edited by mycherokee; 04-13-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Unless you have some machining capabilities, my past experience tells me that investing in a long block is less expensive. The biggest cost in a rebuild is the labor, even if you do everything but the machining. If it is in your budget and your looking at a stock rebuild, get a long block with a warranty and you will be wheelin in no time. Clean everything up good before you go back together. Your injectors are probably toast and since you will be hanging on to this for a while, get some new injectors. There is a good thread http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...jector+upgrade that has great merit and will save you some $$$. Your new motor will have more compression so do not forget to take a good look at your battery and starter.