Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Timing seems off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Timing seems off?

just replaced distributer, rotor, cap, wires, plugs, coil, and TPS. It seems like the timing it out just a little bit. Replaced parts because it would die after getting up to temp, let it sit for 10-15 minutes and it would be fine again. Had rough idle, misfire, hesitation on accel...
After replacing dist, rotor, etc, i no longer had the rough idle, or misfire. However, its sluggish until about 1100rpm, then it picks up a little, then around 1900, it picks up a LOT and smooths out a lot. It wont shift until 2500rpm or around there. Through all gears. No overdrive. No kickdown gear. Also, in certain spots, I will have almost what seems like a slight misfire, usually around 45 mph or 50mph, almost like a dead spot?

Im thinking maybe bad crank sensor??? I used to have a hard start problem, where it wouldnt start on the first crank, but always on the second. But it has since gone away (not sure why, maybe just a jeep thing.)

No CEL, previous owner took bulb out

Totally stumped on this one! Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Renix Freshly Rebuilt!!

What year is it?
Old 10-05-2012, 11:55 PM

sorry, it is a 1999, 4.0, auto trans, 4x4
Old 10-06-2012, 12:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

Even though the CEL bulb is removed, there still should be engine codes stored. Plug it in and see what is says.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Its all good. Do you have a service manual? If so look up how to time it in there. I know how to time the older renix motors and am not sure if its the same process for the HO's.
But give me a few mins here and I will do some searching and might be able to help out with a previous post.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:07 AM

I will do the key trick in the morning before I go to work and write down any codes I get and report back. Thanks for the quick replies!

In the meantime, keep the suggestions coming!

Last edited by thefallofjeffrey; 10-06-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Here is a link to timing the distributer on your motor if you still need it.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/dist_index.html
Old 10-06-2012, 12:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

99 ain't my piece of cake. Still learning my 90! I can say the PCM handles the timing and you are not going to change that. The key trick may not work as well. I hear after 96 or so ...it might do more minor stuff like the gauges..but not the sensors...No harm in trying! Some auto parts stores will check them free Btw.

People do get bad new parts. TPS might be suspect?

There is a procedure..voodoo..auto adjustment for the trany kick down cable. I solved Rubrics cube , but not that...I need a dime to adjust it. See photo. There is a button on the cable housing, I set mine with almost no play. Something to check!
Attached Thumbnails Timing seems off?-101_0169.jpg  

Last edited by DFlintstone; 10-06-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
99 ain't my piece of cake. Still learning my 90! I can say the PCM handles the timing and you are not going to change that. The key trick may not work as well. I hear after 96 or so ...it might do more minor stuff like the gauges..but not the sensors...No harm in trying! Some auto parts stores will check them free Btw.

People do get bad new parts. TPS might be suspect?

There is a procedure..voodoo..auto adjustment for the trany kick down cable. I solved Rubrics cube , but not that...I need a dime to adjust it. See photo. There is a button on the cable housing, I set mine with almost no play. Something to check!
You are correct Sir!
The PCM does control the timing and the Key trick will not work on a 99. Like you said it stopped working in late 95 or 96.

BTW, What kind of plugs did you put in and did you gap them at .035?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by thefallofjeffrey
just replaced distributer, rotor, cap, wires, plugs, coil, and TPS. It seems like the timing it out just a little bit. Replaced parts because it would die after getting up to temp, let it sit for 10-15 minutes and it would be fine again. Had rough idle, misfire, hesitation on accel...
After replacing dist, rotor, etc, i no longer had the rough idle, or misfire. However, its sluggish until about 1100rpm, then it picks up a little, then around 1900, it picks up a LOT and smooths out a lot. It wont shift until 2500rpm or around there. Through all gears. No overdrive. No kickdown gear. Also, in certain spots, I will have almost what seems like a slight misfire, usually around 45 mph or 50mph, almost like a dead spot?

Im thinking maybe bad crank sensor??? I used to have a hard start problem, where it wouldnt start on the first crank, but always on the second. But it has since gone away (not sure why, maybe just a jeep thing.)

No CEL, previous owner took bulb out

Totally stumped on this one! Thanks for any help in advance!
Sounds like a Throttle Position Sensor. The signals generated by TPS are also used by the TCM. Search the forum for TPS testing.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
Sounds like a Throttle Position Sensor. The signals generated by TPS are also used by the TCM. Search the forum for TPS testing.

Already tested it, it's good.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
BTW, What kind of plugs did you put in and did you gap them at .035?
I believe i got autolight plugs, i can remember off the top of my head, and im pretty sure they were pregapped to .035 if im not mistaken, no harm in checking which i will do.

However, i dont think that improperly gapped plugs would cause issues with my transmission not kicking down to pass someone or the shifting at 2500rpm. I mean, hell, it could I guess, but I just dont see that being my problem.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Whats the fuel pressure?
Old 10-06-2012, 05:42 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

dont mean to hijack this thread, but, I have a 2000, with the coil pack. Even though I dont have a distributor, I still have the gear drive where it would have been with my camshaft position sensor at the top. I took that off to replace the gasket. If I mess with the position of that gear, will it mess up my timing?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:47 PM

I couldnt really do much today as it was super rainy once i got off work. I did adjust the TV cable with no change in symptoms.

I DID however unplug the TPS to see if it was any different, and it was NOT. Exact same.

With this year, the TPS is just slide it straight in, bolt er up, correct? I dont have to line up the shaft on the throttle valve so it catches the teeth on the TPS?

When installed straight, I have the symptoms stated above in the original post.
But when I line it up to catch the teeth, I have the same power issues (smoothing out around 1900rpm) except it wont shift until 4000 rpm.

Also when installed straight on, I don't get any voltage.
When installed with teeth catching, I have good voltage.

This is going to be the death of me, I swear. It is driving me crazy!!!

Quick Reply: Timing seems off?