Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Time to replace that P/S pump!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter High Output
Default Time to replace that P/S pump!!

Test drove the XJ last week for about 20 miles. Nice.

Need to get the roaring / grinding power steering pump replaced!! I didn't know there were 7 different models of pumps available?....

Which one of these should I order from Oreilly's?....http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...kee&vi=1180314
Old 02-27-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

If you're only considering oreily, just go with the masterpro with the reservoir. It has a limited lifetime warranty.

I bought mine from RockAuto. It was the AC Delco brand. It works fine.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:06 PM

Thanks Fijicorey!!.... Yeah, sort of like Oreilly's in town.... they act like they have some sense: I'm impressed so far, compared to the other local yocals that are in every town. Since I have some decent restoration to do, so might as well buy locally.....

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 02-28-2017, 08:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

When i bought my 96, i knew the pump was bad, but it got worse while i drove it home. eventually the axle came so far out of it that the pulley came off the belt, and then it didn't drive the alternator or water pump!

Had to change the pump in a parking lot the next day, i didnt even get it home. I went to an Advance Auto Parts, and i think i just got the one that came with a new reservoir as well.

You will need a pulley puller or whatever, if you don't have one, the parts stores will loan you one.

Good luck, i remember it not being that fun to change.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:31 AM

Regular guy - thanks; the swap went without issue.... just took off the air box and the serpentine belt (replacing it anyway before it explodes like my son's XJ just did) and the thing was actually a breeze to replace. O'reilly's rented me their P/S pulley removal tool (brand new) and it took maybe 5 minutes to remove the pulley from the old pump and install on new one. Correct....the pump I ordered was an O'reilly's part number of 733-18111; google it and you'll find a variety of different vendors for it for anybody who needs one. Comes with reservoir.