Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Is it time to part???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Is it time to part???

About a year ago I bought my 2000 Xj from a friend. Since I had bought it I never really moved it but drove it a couple of times. A while back I decided to post it for sale just to see if it would sale. My asking price $1,500. Whats wrong with it......

1) Tags aren't current
2)Rust on roof where water comes in
3)Heater don't work
4)205,000 miles

Besides that motor is strong and 4x4 works really well.

So on Sunday I decided that I would fix up the Jeep and potentially stay with it longer. Well a guy comes and offers $1,000 to buy as is. This is where I can't decide what to do.

Take the guys money and count my losses. Or fix it stay with it a bit longer and then ask for more with repairs done. Would love to see what you guys think
Old 02-18-2015, 04:52 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

In my area, a running 4 wheel drive vehicle will get $1000 all day long... and that's just for a barley holding on to life vehicle. If its got a strong engine and some good life left, then I'd say don't take less than what you're asking. But it really comes down to how much you want to deal with it. Parting it out will make you more... fixing it up and asking for more will get you more, but both of those will take your time and effort, and fixing it up will also take $$.

So if you're happy with $1500, then don't settle for less and be done with it.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

My take is if it's rusted, it's not worth fixing up. Unlike vintage Mustangs, for example, there are plenty of other, non-rusted Cherokees around.

FYI, I've spent the last three years restoring a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 which had a LOT of rust. Replacing rust is crazy expensive if you pay someone to do it and a lot of work if you do it yourself. For a 1970 Mach 1, I think it's just barely worth it. For a Cherokee, not so much.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:16 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

How much more would it be worth if tags were current? How big is this rust area? How much heat do you need in S. Texas? How is the rest of it mechanically? Looks/body wise?

My take is they guy wanted a steal, but who doesn't? If 15 is your bottom dollar, should have allowed a little wiggle room, buyer always feels good if they talk down a price. Did you make a counter offer to his? Could tell you a cheep way to patch the rust but would get flamed (as if I care) probably last the life of vehicle. PM for details
Old 02-18-2015, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Klutch
My take is if it's rusted, it's not worth fixing up. Unlike vintage Mustangs, for example, there are plenty of other, non-rusted Cherokees around. FYI, I've spent the last three years restoring a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 which had a LOT of rust. Replacing rust is crazy expensive if you pay someone to do it and a lot of work if you do it yourself. For a 1970 Mach 1, I think it's just barely worth it. For a Cherokee, not so much.
better watch it, A LOT of people on this forum have replaced floor pans in their XJ's including me. It's more than worth it.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:44 PM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by JPXJMOAB
better watch it, A LOT of people on this forum have replaced floor pans in their XJ's including me. It's more than worth it.
Amen and AMEN!!!!

Here's just a few videos of rust repairs I've done on my XJ and I'm not even half done yet.

It has been a lot of work, but it has been well worth it to have a Cherokee that I know is repaired correctly and will last me many years. I've done all the work myself and with salvaged metal that I managed to get for free from different sources, so it hasn't cost me much at all. Now, if I was paying someone to do this for me... that would be a whole different and very expensive project, but I don't regret one second of the grinding, cutting, scraping, welding and cursing.

Last edited by foreveryoung001; 02-18-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by foreveryoung001
Amen and AMEN!!!! Here's just a few videos of rust repairs I've done on my XJ and I'm not even half done yet. Video Link: http://youtu.be/-wrPZVd0wbM Video Link: http://youtu.be/q19wUNHGq7c Video Link: http://youtu.be/EXO9hosoLNA It has been a lot of work, but it has been well worth it to have a Cherokee that I know is repaired correctly and will last me many years. I've done all the work myself and with salvaged metal that I managed to get for free from different sources, so it hasn't cost me much at all. Now, if I was paying someone to do this for me... that would be a whole different and very expensive project, but I don't regret one second of the grinding, cutting, scraping, welding and cursing.
glad to see you've put the time in like I still am! It's a pain but it's a gratifying pain that's for sure!
Old 02-18-2015, 10:13 PM

A rusted roof that's leaking is a lot more serious than a rusted floor pan. If the roof is leaking, likely the whole floor is rusted out. That means replacing not only the roof, but the entire floor. That's what I'm saying is not worth it.

Floor pans only? Sure. No problem.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Klutch
I rusted roof that's leaking is a lot more serious than a rusted floor pan. If the roof leaking, likely the whole floor is rusted out. That means replacing not only the roof, but the entire floor. That's what I'm saying is not worth it. Floor pans only? Sure. No problem.
hate to tell ya but I'm replacing my entire floors. Roof rust is nothing compared to that.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:16 PM

hate to tell ya but I'm replacing my entire floors. Roof rust is nothing compared to that.

No need to hate. If you want to do it, more power to you. You obviously were aware of the work involved and can do it. I'm assuming you wouldn't have paid someone to replace the floor.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:22 PM

Year: 2000, 1994
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6

Originally Posted by NCsXJ
About a year ago I bought my 2000 Xj from a friend. Since I had bought it I never really moved it but drove it a couple of times. A while back I decided to post it for sale just to see if it would sale. My asking price $1,500. Whats wrong with it......

1) Tags aren't current
2)Rust on roof where water comes in
3)Heater don't work
4)205,000 miles

Besides that motor is strong and 4x4 works really well.

So on Sunday I decided that I would fix up the Jeep and potentially stay with it longer. Well a guy comes and offers $1,000 to buy as is. This is where I can't decide what to do.

Take the guys money and count my losses. Or fix it stay with it a bit longer and then ask for more with repairs done. Would love to see what you guys think
Well, if you'd take a down payment and some payments and it'll make it to Dallas

I've been looking for a second XJ in that price range. I'm surprised it hasn't sold, unless the rusted roof is REALLY bad.

I'd hate to see an otherwise decent XJ parted out
Old 02-19-2015, 06:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Post a photo of the XJ's roof and all of it if possible, it may very well be an easy fix for the roof and you will a good 4x4 for yourself. You will not find another one to buy that cheap 1k that runs out like you say. The roof may just need some new grommets or the windshield resealed.

Don't know about the tags no big deal here and the heater might be as easy as a good back flush. That mileage isn't a problem for a 4.0 and surely the head has been replaced before now.

If you want a 4x4 sounds like you have a good starter do post some photos, but don't give it away.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:15 PM

Year: 2001

Just an update........ I ended up selling the XJ. Though I didn't want to and almost changed my mind, I checked the floor pans like some of you mentioned and I found......well yeah I found rust. Looked like it was just starting but that just convinced me to part with it. Mechanic work has never scared me off and to be honest, I really enjoy it. But body work is a whole different animal and I don't have the time or energy to do that and deal with other personal things. I posted some pictures cause some of you were asking about the extent of the rust damage. The hole was about 5 inches long and 2.5 inches wide.

I want to thank you guys for helping me out with all my questions especially the senior members.

Name:  IMG_20140204_201116_zpshrvqcmn0.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  98.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20140204_201023_zpshststzzt.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  154.6 KB
Old 02-19-2015, 04:28 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

Now that ^^^