Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Time to close up my open diff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Time to close up my open diff?

I was at work today and pulled a little too far into my parking spot. My front wheels dropped off the paved part on to ice, and my back end was still stilling on ice in the parking lot. I realized my mistake and attempted to back up only to be greeted with no traction... Tried 4HI and LO with the same results. After an embarrassing few minutes of rocking my 4x4 XJ in a freaking parking lot (in front of co-workers) I managed to get enough momentum to get out of the jam. Trust me, I'm not a terrible driver, especially in icy/snowy conditions.

The whole thing has gotten me thinking it might be time to do something about my open diffs. It's pretty sobering that poor traction/no traction on two wheels (front and back) left me pretty much dead in the water.

I don't have the time or space for anything but a lunchbox locker so they have been where I'm leaning. I've got a few brands in mind but that's a question for another post/more research.

Here's my problem. My XJ is a 96' build date 9/96 with the 8.25 Chrysler rearend... My research has uncovered that 96 was a transition year where these rearends went from 27 splines to 29 with no way of telling without pulling the axles and counting. I just put new fluid in a few months ago so I'd rather not waste it all just to count the splines only to have to replace it again after the locker is installed.

So, I'm turning here for help.

Which spline count should I presume I have?

Am I correct that there's no other way to tell?

Who could I buy my locker from that would be willing to take a return if the spline count happens to be whatever i didn't buy?

Lastly, is this a reasonable direction to go given my problem today? Obviously I'm an idiot for pulling that far forward and if i'm honest I was trying to park the front on a little snowbank because that's what Jeep owners do I made a fool of myself and am starting to have serious doubts about my ability to get traction. My tires are in great shape ~70% tread on Goodyear Wranglers.

I'm open for input. I've thought about locking the front diff first which should take the guess work out of what to buy, but I figured it would be nice to get the benefits of the locker when I'm not in 4wd too.

I'm all ears, and red faced lol.

hotrod
Old 12-09-2010, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

I have a lunchbox in my c8.25 and its my DD, i like it especially when it rains cause i go drifting hehe

If i was in your situation i would buy the 29 spline locker and if your axle is the 27 then you can just get axle shafts from a junk yard that is a 29 and viola! you have a 29 spline c8.25. (i kinda think you have the 29 but theres no way of telling without opening it up.)

I would say the rear locker is probably the best investment ive done to my jeep (other than 4x4 conversion and front locker coming soon) and the difference is night and day on the trail.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:40 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

with a build date of 9/96 i would say 90% possibility you have a 29 spline c8.25.

Only way to tell for sure?

Last edited by dukie564; 12-09-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by dukie564
with a build date of 9/96 i would say 90% possibility you have a 23 spline c8.25.

Only way to tell for sure?

23 spline? Is that a typo or yet aother variant I was unaware of lol
Old 12-09-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheJerm
I have a lunchbox in my c8.25 and its my DD, i like it especially when it rains cause i go drifting hehe

If i was in your situation i would buy the 29 spline locker and if your axle is the 27 then you can just get axle shafts from a junk yard that is a 29 and viola! you have a 29 spline c8.25. (i kinda think you have the 29 but theres no way of telling without opening it up.)

I would say the rear locker is probably the best investment ive done to my jeep (other than 4x4 conversion and front locker coming soon) and the difference is night and day on the trail.
Would it really be as simple as just swapping the axles? I wouldn't need a different carrier or anything? I can't imagine it would be too expensive to get the axles if that's all it takes.

I know the difference will be amazing and after todays ordeal I'm thinking it's pretty much a must lol
Old 12-09-2010, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by hotrod6657
Would it really be as simple as just swapping the axles? I wouldn't need a different carrier or anything?
Your new locker will replace your old carrier. Can't wait to do it in mine.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 4Doors
Your new locker will replace your old carrier. Can't wait to do it in mine.
I didn't think that lunchbox style lockers replaced the carrier. I thought they only replaced the side and spider gears.

I'm only really looking at lunchbox style ones so that I don't have to have my rearend reset
Old 12-09-2010, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 I6

Would it really be as simple as just swapping the axles? I wouldn't need a different carrier or anything? I can't imagine it would be too expensive to get the axles if that's all it takes.

I know the difference will be amazing and after todays ordeal I'm thinking it's pretty much a must lol

On the c8.25 carrier there is no difference between the 27 and 29 spline...the difference is on the splines in the spider gears. When you put in a lunch box locker it replaces those spider gears, so a swap would be that simple.

As for lunch box lockers, I am running aussie lockers front and rear. Their customer service is awesome, so if you did decide not to swap the axles and get the other locker, I'm sure they would be willing to help you (If they offer for both models, im not sure...I know for sure they have the 29 spline) As for front vs. rear, there are millions of posts on every forum debating which is better. Many say that a front locker in the snow is a death trap. I live in snowy michigan and first put in a front locker with no issues...just drive cautiously and know that it is in there. I ended up putting in a rear locker a few months later because the difference was amazing. However, the front locker will make some undesired clicking and clunking when turning and not in 4 wheel, but won't affect the way it actually drives. All in all they are a great investment, just drive cautiously and drive like you have lockers in, don't expect it to handle the same as it does now in slick conditions
Old 12-09-2010, 06:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Got our PowerTrax No-Slip (no clicking/ratcheting noise in a turn) from Summit Racing this past June......they will swap as long as u have the receipt and no, u don't mess with the carrier, ring/pinion set up, nothing. Like u said, the side/spider gears come out and the lunchbox auto locker goes in. I'd bet it's a 29 spline.....I'm surprised with a 9/96 build date, it's not a '97. Wouldn't think u would have to pull an axle to count splines, just the cover.
Attached Thumbnails Time to close up my open diff?-019.jpg   Time to close up my open diff?-021.jpg  

Last edited by djb383; 12-09-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:11 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by djb383
Got our PowerTrax No-Slip from Summit Racing this past June......they will swap as long as u have the receipt and no, u don't mess with the carrier, ring/pinion set up, nothing. Like u said, the side/spider gears come out and the lunchbox goes in. I'd bet it's a 29 spline.....I'm surprised with a 9/96 build date, it's not a '97. Wouldn't think u would have to pull an axle to count splines, just the cover.
Sorry to thread hijack...but is that the locker is supposed to be silent on the road (no clicking on turns)?...if so how well has that worked and are there any parts on it that are supposed to wear out?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

Yep, no ratcheting/clicking in turns but as with any locker, u occasionally are reminded it's there. Traction is awesome, even if one wheel is in the air. As with anything mechanical, wear can/will occur. Have over 100K on a No-Slip in a p/u, no issues.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:40 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

23 spline? Is that a typo or yet aother variant I was unaware of lol
brainfart...meant 29. Fixed it
Old 12-09-2010, 10:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I didn't think that lunchbox style lockers replaced the carrier. I thought they only replaced the side and spider gears.

I'm only really looking at lunchbox style ones so that I don't have to have my rearend reset
Whoops, my bad!
Old 12-09-2010, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 i6

not for nothing i have had both lockright and an aussie locker and i love the aussie locker its quieter and the lockright would come unlocked if i grabbed a gear too hard
Old 12-09-2010, 11:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO

I have the lockright too, and it is kinda loud but i bought the axle with the locker already installed and other parts so it was a deal. If i grab a gear to hard while turning sometimes it lets loose an bangs real hard, it freaks out my friends quite a bit and i usually mess with them to freak them out more.

Ive also notice the lockright doesnt like to disengage when you push in the clutch while already turning, it causes the rear end to go BANG BANG BANG bang bang ratchet ratcher. Thats the most annoying thing but ive heard lunchbox lockers are much harsher behind a manual trans.

Quick Reply: Time to close up my open diff?