Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tie Rod and Drag link - new bushings or new bars?

Old 08-07-2010, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Tie Rod and Drag link - new bushings or new bars?

I have been trying to diagnose the shimmy in my front end using all the great info on this forum. I originally suspected the hub assemblies due to loud freeway road noise, but after the suggestions of going underneath and pulling on things, I have different culprits! ( I did jack it up and wiggle the wheels around, felt solid, and didn't make any noises when rotating them either ).

If I pull on the drag link bar, I can move it along with the tie rod front to back (towards front bumper and back bumper) at least a half inch or so. The bushings (4) all seem to be worn out. If I watch the tie rod ends, where they connect to the wheels, they pivot back and forth (front to back). Is there no solid bolt in those bushings? Confused as to how they could move like that and not fall off? I assumed those bushings were just for flexing and turning, not articulation!

My question is do I order some new bushings for all these locations, or do I order new tie rod ends, tie rod, drag link bar etc... I hope a bushing replacement would do the trick.

I also checked the drive shaft UV joint. Seems solid. I did get a little flex out of it where the shaft gets skinny, about five inches back from the front differential. There is a little grease zirk right there. If I pushed up on the shaft, it would "bend" a tiny bit. Just enough to hear, and feel.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:37 PM

Forgot to mention, it is all stock. 1999 XJ Sport. Automatic. 137,000 miles. I don't plan on lifting it. Just like it how it is, but want a better ride again! Any advice guys? New bushings, or all new parts? Tie rod ends? Hmmm....
Old 08-08-2010, 12:52 PM

Bump. Anyone?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:56 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by tevirs
Forgot to mention, it is all stock. 1999 XJ Sport. Automatic. 137,000 miles. I don't plan on lifting it. Just like it how it is, but want a better ride again! Any advice guys? New bushings, or all new parts? Tie rod ends? Hmmm....

Depends on your budget! If ya got the money just replace it all and get an alingment and new tires and she'll be like new again!! Oh and new shocks too that always helps alot!!!

Last edited by Pehlke1985; 08-08-2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Missed some stuff