Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ticking noise is it rod knock?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 11:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default ticking noise is it rod knock?

2000 XJ Limited 4.0 auto

Driving home I noticed a ticking noise when engine was under load. doesn't really do it at idle. Searched all the forums. Came up with the following possibilities: lifter noise, torque converter to flexplate bolts loose, rod knock or bearing problem. Followed the advice of using mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint noise. it is definitely not coming from the top end. Loudest by oil pan. Do not think it is by transmission. Took it to a local mechanic that offers free estimate. We got it up on the rack and definitely louder underneath, confirming what I heard. Mechanic said could be cracked piston ring or worse problem in the lower engine. Told me to get a new motor. Said he could pull the starter etc. to inspect flywheel for a couple hundred but was not leaning towards that being the issue. The mechanic was pretty adamant that I had larger issue.

By the way, checked oil, oil pressure, etc. All fine and no lack of performance, just loud ticking. Doesn't sound like a rod knock based on hearing that before in other cars.

Any suggestions on how to determine what my next move should be?
Old 04-03-2018, 11:31 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 Cherokee Classic
2000 XJ Limited 4.0 auto

Driving home I noticed a ticking noise when engine was under load. doesn't really do it at idle. Searched all the forums. Came up with the following possibilities: lifter noise, torque converter to flexplate bolts loose, rod knock or bearing problem. Followed the advice of using mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint noise. it is definitely not coming from the top end. Loudest by oil pan. Do not think it is by transmission. Took it to a local mechanic that offers free estimate. We got it up on the rack and definitely louder underneath, confirming what I heard. Mechanic said could be cracked piston ring or worse problem in the lower engine. Told me to get a new motor. Said he could pull the starter etc. to inspect flywheel for a couple hundred but was not leaning towards that being the issue. The mechanic was pretty adamant that I had larger issue.

By the way, checked oil, oil pressure, etc. All fine and no lack of performance, just loud ticking. Doesn't sound like a rod knock based on hearing that before in other cars.

Any suggestions on how to determine what my next move should be?
Check if the noise is next to the firewall, maybe it's the purge valve solenoid
Old 04-03-2018, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by emx72
Check if the noise is next to the firewall, maybe it's the purge valve solenoid
would that throw a diagnostic code? I have a reader. I think the mechanic i brought it to would have jumped on a chance to replace something like that. he did not suggest that he provide a new motor. they do not do that.

Last edited by 98 Cherokee Classic; 04-03-2018 at 11:42 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-03-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

no it would not throw a code
Just check if the noise is right by the firewall
Old 04-03-2018, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

That evap ticking is freaking loud when you're right next to it.

I was doing compression testing last weekend and I was kind of shocked at how loud it was. I never hear it while driving or when standing outside the Jeep while it's idling.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:45 PM

Unfortunately it was not the purge valve solenoid. i had two friends listen to it and 1 say rod bearing the other says flywheel. i am going to start by inspecting tourque to flexplate bolts.

Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

Bad rod bearings don't "tick" they knock.

Best indicator of a bad rod bearing is "knocking" after warm-up when the engine has been at operating temp. for awhile and in park(i.e. idling)

In other words you don't hear it when the engine is cold at start up, the knocking is extremely noticable when the engine is hot though, in park or "idling"

Cherokee's don't get rod knock, they overheat, ride like crap, the cylinder head cracks, the body rusts out, doors won't open, windows don't go down, deathwobble, water leaks into them in strange places, oil leaks out everywhere, don't forget about vibrations, no heat, I could go on.

I never read much about rod knock though
Old 04-04-2018, 07:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Rod bearing will be loudest under load and rpm. Same as flex plate problem almost lol.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:03 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Unfortunately it was not the purge valve solenoid. i had two friends listen to it and 1 say rod bearing the other says flywheel. i am going to start by inspecting tourque to flexplate bolts.

Thanks again.
Just do this and quit listening to other folks listening to your vehicle:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/fou...emoval-171945/
Old 04-04-2018, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I had a ticking noise shortly after I bought my '99. Thinking the same thing, lifter tick, rod bearing or flex plate. Easiest one to check is the flex plate. Removed the cover, didn't see anything. Rotated engine and found this (sorry it's blurry)

Had shop replace it and when I saw the old one, it was cracked all the way around and only 1" was still keeping the inner bolt area and the outer half together. Glad I caught it before it broke completely apart.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:05 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by xj_mike
I had a ticking noise shortly after I bought my '99. Thinking the same thing, lifter tick, rod bearing or flex plate. Easiest one to check is the flex plate. Removed the cover, didn't see anything. Rotated engine and found this (sorry it's blurry)

Had shop replace it and when I saw the old one, it was cracked all the way around and only 1" was still keeping the inner bolt area and the outer half together. Glad I caught it before it broke completely apart.
And, the diagnosis you did took less time than talking to a bunch of "guessers".
Old 04-10-2018, 03:00 PM

Update. Checked and eliminated flexplate. Looked fine and was tight. Took it to another shop that was highly recommended as Jeep 4.0 experts and they thought it was something in the valve train. Replaced ?rocker arms? and ?some guides? they said were "tweaked". They showed them to me, they were bent and worn. New ones were straight. Back together, $347 including an oil change. Engine noise remains. Now telling me something in the bottom end. Wrist pin? Suggested new engine. Used engine with 155k on it, $1500 just for the engine. Labor and misc. parts another $1500. Anybody who can work on engines want to buy a cool Jeep?
Old 04-10-2018, 03:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Um, they replaced some guides that were 'tweaked'?? Only way to do that is take the head off the engine and do a valve job and lifters. They showed them to you? That would be some trick. Something got tweaked and me thinks it was your wallet.
I say be glad they only soaked you for $370 or whatever and go back to the drawing board.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

Update. Checked and eliminated flexplate. Looked fine and was tight. Took it to another shop that was highly recommended as Jeep 4.0 experts and they thought it was something in the valve train. Replaced ?rocker arms? and ?some guides? they said were "tweaked". They showed them to me, they were bent and worn. New ones were straight. Back together, $347 including an oil change. Engine noise remains. Now telling me something in the bottom end. Wrist pin? Suggested new engine. Used engine with 155k on it, $1500 just for the engine. Labor and misc. parts another $1500. Anybody who can work on engines want to buy a cool Jeep?
Where are you located? I am sure if you are close enough to someone on here, they could help you out before you decided to off load the Jeep. Or if you are close enough to me, I can take it off your hands haha.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:25 PM

I am probably not using the right part names. Either way, i got hosed for the $374 based on a usually reliable person's recommendation. They took the valve cover off to check it as they were sure it was coming from the top end. Everything I looked into myself told me different, but I guess i was just naively hoping for an easy fix. Now that my wallet is a little lighter, I am hesitant to dump any more money into her. I love the truck, but is my daily driver, so I have to replace it. The price of XJs in Chicago has gone up since i got this one. Anything with under 150k without completely rusted rockers and the other usual rust spots is over $6k.

Quick Reply: ticking noise is it rod knock?