Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Throw out Bearing or Tranny Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L
Default Throw out Bearing or Tranny Bearings?

I have 95 XJ with 180K 2.5l, 5 speed, 4X4. I will be graduating college in 4 months and decided that i better do a clutch job now, so i won't have to worry about it later. I heard that most clutches go between 150,000-200,000

I bought a complete clutch kit through Advance Auto Parts ( i had a $20 off coupon for purchases over $100) it comes with pressure plate, disc, pilot bearing, and throw out bearing.

I installed a new rear main seal, the clutch kit and i replaced my tranny w/ another AX5 that i had that only had 29,000 miles on it.

Everything works, but it is making a faint whining noise, out of the clutch/transmission area. I hear it when i first start to go and release the clutch and jsut about everytime i shift and release the clutch. I also hear it however when i am doing about 20-25 in 3rd gear, or when i am on the highway acclerating from 50-65. I never hear it when the clutch is pressed in.

The sound is not high pitched at all, but is noticeable. I checked the oil in my tranny and it is full. I used 75w-90.

Is it the throw out bearing or the transmission bearings? At first i thought it was the TOB but then i was confused when i heard it when i wasn't even touching the clutch.

Does anybody know?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2010, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

throw out bearing is only when applying the clutch, isn't it?

sounds like you should've left the original tranny in, unfortunately. no idea on what is making your noise though, just offering a thought on the throw out bearing.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L

Originally Posted by superj
throw out bearing is only when applying the clutch, isn't it?

sounds like you should've left the original tranny in, unfortunately. no idea on what is making your noise though, just offering a thought on the throw out bearing.

Yeah, that is what i thought too. But after doing some research on the internet it sounds like there is a chance it might be the throwout bearing. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5150206AAuYkwq

Also, the transmission i put in was sitting for a long time, probably like 6 or so years. Do you think some corrosion or something got in the bearings that cause them to dry out? If i put in a heavier oil will that help?

thanks
Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

it is possible you got some moisture in it and it caused some corrosion.

i only know this from bmws, not jeeps, but after high miles, the input bearing starts wearing and causes the same noise you are talking about. people drive with it for hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems though. i know my 89 325 had this bearing wear a bit and i drove it up to 325k miles and sold it to another guy who sold it to another guy who came back and talks to me when ever he has issues and he just now had to finally replace the tranny from the syncros going out, not that bearing wearing out.