Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Third World mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Third World mechanics

Does anybody here know whether or not a modern HEI system can be changed to the old voltage regulator-breaker points & condenser system? I seriously doubt Third World mechanics working under some palm-leaf lean-to in the jungle in Uganda have the luxury of engine-code scanners and computer analyzers. What do they do when a PCM craps out and they are 250 miles out in the middle of nowhere?

Virtually every modern vehicle depends upon computers for engine timing, fuel injector pulse duration and all that. If we ever have a terrorist attack involving a suitcase nuke or a nuclear war the electromagnetic pulse will knock out every single vehicle with computer controlled ignition forever. The PCMs will be fried to a crisp. Then what? Is it possible to switch over PCM engines to the old type? What would be involved in doing so? Just curious.

Or should I just be raising horses? LOL.

Last edited by Low Profile; 02-09-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:55 PM
kps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

thats what an old VW bug is for, mechanical generator, point ignition, mechanical voltage regulator. plain, basic, simple, easy..... plus I love old style igniton systems, another reason I rode old Harleys most of my life, & would rather pull out an oscilliscope to trouble shoot ignition, than to hook up a scan tool. I am very old school.... until I bought this Cherokee last week a 96, the only other vehicle I have ever owned newer than a 95 was 1 Neon & it was a 96 too, & I am talking of nearly 30 years of driving, & I really prefer older vehicles, my 2 main vehicles are 85 & 86 Toyota trucks.