Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Think I found my coolant leak!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline-6
Default Think I found my coolant leak!

Alright so my Cherokee is my first vehicle so I don't really know much about any cars period but I don't want to spend a lot of money at the mechanic so I thought I'd take a video and ask someone on here.

So, my Cherokee has been heating up to a little over 100 degrees (Celsius) which for those who use fahrenheit is a little over the 210 mark. It only heats up to about 108 when I'm at a red light or have to stop then it cools back down to about 80 but I thought I had a coolant leak because my dad said he put more coolant in and the coolant reservoir is below the "ADD" line (haven't checked coolant for a few months and didn't see it when it was topped up) and a friend told me when I drove away he saw some fluid on the ground but didn't know what it was so I parked and looked underneath and saw green liquid dripping off the skid plate. That was last week sometime and I've been looking for the leak since but haven't had much time to look until tonight and it appears to be a larger hose that leads into the grille (sorry I don't know many car parts)

Here's a video:

If possible could anyone tell me the name of the hose, and if that is a substantial enough leak for me to lose a lot of coolant?
Old 04-29-2014, 12:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Lower radiator hose. Chances are pretty high it's the water pump leaking. Have you done any cooling system maintenance on this thing? To be on the safe side you should replace the upper and lower radiator hoses, water pump, thermostat, heater hoses, radiator cap, and inspect the thermostat housing and the heater goes pipe that is on the water pump. Check the fan drive clutch and the condition of the serp belt.