Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Teraflex high steer knuckle and tie rod/drag link

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Teraflex high steer knuckle and tie rod/drag link

Heres the link to what im talking about:
http://www.teraflex.biz/products/high-steer-system.html

I really want to install the tie rod and draglink on my zj (same dana 30 as Cherokee's) but I'm concerned about what other modifactions I'll have to do to my rig to get this setup to work. Teraflex say's and I quote, "NOTE: The high steer system is not an all inclusive kit. Additional modifications will be required that are not included in the TeraFlex high steer system. These modifications may include front swaybar links, front trackbar mounting, and offset wheels."

Have anyone installed this on their jeep? I'm interested in how the install went. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

You have to raise your sway bar mounts... and buy/make a new trac bar mount that is at the same angle as your drag link. I had this setup on my MJ before I went to tons. It is a cool mod, but If I had to do it over again I would just go to the PNP and get the knuckles brakes and steering parts off of a Wj and call JCr and get the trac bar mount and required spacers AS WELL AS THE SWAY BAR END LINKS
Old 06-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by PingPong
You have to raise your sway bar mounts... and buy/make a new trac bar mount that is at the same angle as your drag link. I had this setup on my MJ before I went to tons. It is a cool mod, but If I had to do it over again I would just go to the PNP and get the knuckles brakes and steering parts off of a Wj and call JCr and get the trac bar mount and required spacers AS WELL AS THE SWAY BAR END LINKS
cool, thanks for the info. I honstley just want the tie rod, its pretty beefy and I have heard good things about it from people that have them on their jeep. On the teraflex website you can buy either the large taper that comes with the high steer knuckle or a small taper, which they says has the same size tie rod ends as stock. Here's the link about what I'm talking about:
http://www.teraflex.biz/products/hd-...rge-taper.html

Do you think this bolts right up?
Old 06-19-2010, 01:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 481 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I have it on my rig.

Name:  IMG_0426.jpg
Views: 3021
Size:  81.7 KB

How much you have to modify depends on the placement of the tie rod joints and how much lift you are running. In the above photo, the tie rod is above the knuckle. If you do that, you will want to modify both sway bar brackets. If you leave it below the steering arm in the stock position, you will not have to modify the drivers side. I have my drag link below the arm. You will want to modify the passenger side. I put mine down lower and extended the sway bar link they provide. If you used the drag link on the upper side, you would need a very tall lift to maintain suspension travel without hitting the frame with it. Works well on high lifts. I think I will do a little more work on my sway bar links before I am satisfied.

I still have stock wheels and had to get 1.5" spacers for them or buy aftermarket wheels. Most people at this point have tall lifts and new wheels anyway.