Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Temperature question and vibration/grinding

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Temperature question and vibration/grinding

so my 99 has been running ok but i've noticed today the temp gauge is slightly above 210 at times (siting in slower traffic) ? is this to hot i have just flushed the coolant and did a change last weekend the old stuff was nasty looking and the new stuff is 400 miles old but still bright green... wondering if i need to change the water pump and thermostat... fan clutch seems to be working as it should...

there is also a vibration coming from the passenger side front foo twell under acceleration could this be a heat shield its most noticeable when accelerating from a stop and when the car is going slightly up hill.. any ideas on what to look at? hoping it isn't the transfer case... 4wd and all works ok so that's why i'm thinking the transfer case is not the issue..

any help is appreciated
Old 10-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

210 is totally normal. The healthy range is 195-218.

If your temperature noticeably rises at stop lighta or in slow traffic that means that the fan clutch is toast. Likewise if you don't know the age of the thermostat or water pump and think they're old, they should be replaced. All three are exteemely important maintenance items.

Vibration when accelerating eh? Yeah could be a heat shield. Could be U joints. Could be a dry slip yoke that needs grease. Crawl under there and start poking around, you'll find what's loose pretty quick!
Old 10-17-2014, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by 1000rrstunna
so my 99 has been running ok but i've noticed today the temp gauge is slightly above 210 at times (siting in slower traffic) ? is this to hot i have just flushed the coolant and did a change last weekend the old stuff was nasty looking and the new stuff is 400 miles old but still bright green... wondering if i need to change the water pump and thermostat... fan clutch seems to be working as it should...
Too hot is when the needle is in the red or when coolant is boiling out somewhere. Nasty stuff (coolant) probably means some hard scale crud has built up inside the rad thus reducing the rads ability to dissipate heat as effectively it did when it was "like new" clean. No amount of flushing will remove hard scale build up inside the rad. The rad must be disassembled and "rodded out" by a rad shop or replaced with a new one.

Money spent on replacing all cooling system components with new AND not letting coolant get nasty in color is both money and time well spent. Proper cooling system maintenance (draining/refilling before coolant turns nasty) is up to the owner.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i just bought it.... so I want to change the water pump thermostat and some other stuff to.... i also noticed the fan shroud is missing...
Old 10-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

That'll do it... without the shroud the fan basically does nothing at idle.