Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Temp Gauge Interpretation/ AC fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Temp Gauge Interpretation/ AC fan

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to find a picture that seems lost. Somewhere on the net someone added more lines to the temp gauge so you can tell what temps your coolant is at.

For my 93 when does the AC fan (aux) come on? I think its time to change out my t-stat as I have planned. According to my gauges I'm riding above 210, usually in the middle of 210 to the next white mark (going clockwise). When I turn on the heater I can see it drop down to 210. I was on a hilly highway but I was doing a steady 55mph.

I'm just trying to tweak the system. I plan on porting out the extra thermostat house I have and putting in a new stat. I'm looking forward to hearing questions or comments.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

My artist's rendition:
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993

My gauge is telling me it runs about 222. I had it parked and started it up after it cooled down. It started to approach 235 and the fan didn't come on. I started to change out relays that I had pulled from younger cars. Nothing worked. I put back the old one nothing worked. I turned off the car then restarted it to put it back in the garage and finally the fan came on. The entire time it was parked I had the ac on. I lost alot of charge years ago on my ac unit and didn't do much about it. I'm running about a 65% antifreeze mix currently. When I pulled it into the garage from the street, a whooping 10 ft. I heard the fan kick on and it was running when I parked it until I turned it off. I'm thinking that maybe my stat is going. About 6-7 years ago I put in a new radiator and I've been running 65% glycol and its green.

I'm starting to get a little nervous. I have a new gauge sender in and I have what appears to be a working cluster. I pulled the whole cluster apart last week and used contact cleaner and all on the flex. I used to do alot of electronics rework so. The contacts on the flex are all good and all the contacts on the connectors are clean. I also cleaned the connector on my side of the wiring harness during the switch from idiot to gauge. I did notice that my temp gauge does go to the max during start then quickly settles back. I don't know if this normal. I have another cluster. Should I jam it in and start it up to see if that one goes to the max and settles? I was thinking of porting out the thermostat tomorrow and putting in a new stat. When I replaced the radiator years ago I put in a new stat. I don't recall what the temp was. I do have a 193 stat, I could always drop in a high flow balanced stat. Any idea i'm willing to listen. I'm almost tempted to tap the t-stat, if I can find what size thread and hole need to be drilled and using an alt gauge.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

First think, Forget what the IDIOT gauge actually says!!!!
Is your gauge showing a basically steady temp? Spikes in temps are normal, provided it returns to the starting point. Automotive gauges are notorious for inaccuracy.