Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

TC drop question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default TC drop question

I have a 3 in lift and was wondering how much i need to to drop my tranfer case to eliminate my vibrations? Thanks
Old 01-13-2010, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Standard is a 1" drop.

A TC drop to eliminate drivetrain vibrations is merely a band-aid.

Newer XJ's tend to have more sensitivity to lifting than thier older counterparts.
In other words.. A newer Xj will get vibes at lower lift heights as compared to the earlier ones.

A SYE is your best bet.
Money is tight (DUH! I don't have to tell anyone this.)
TC drop should be a short-term "get by" until a SYE is purchased.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:55 PM

Year: 1993

you usually don't need to even do a TCL with a 3" but i would think a SYE is overkill unless it vibrates REALLY bad
Old 01-13-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by sflxj
you usually don't need to even do a TCL with a 3" but i would think a SYE is overkill unless it vibrates REALLY bad
Its not too bad but its enough to drive ya nuts
Old 01-13-2010, 06:13 PM

yeah i hear you just do a TCL we didnt do it on the 2WD since there is no t-case but it vibrates like crazy when i slow down. so were are gna put it on there
Old 01-13-2010, 06:24 PM

Yeah its susposed to be a cheap fix. Till i can afford a SYE
Old 01-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Howler_GT
Standard is a 1" drop.

A TC drop to eliminate drivetrain vibrations is merely a band-aid.

Newer XJ's tend to have more sensitivity to lifting than thier older counterparts.
In other words.. A newer Xj will get vibes at lower lift heights as compared to the earlier ones.

A SYE is your best bet.
Money is tight (DUH! I don't have to tell anyone this.)
TC drop should be a short-term "get by" until a SYE is purchased.
I find that interesting. I have a 93 with a 4.5in lift, no SYE or transfer case drop, and I have no vibes at all. I wonder why. I really should get a SYE though...
Old 01-13-2010, 08:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sflxj
No a SYE isn't overkill, thats the design that should've been used from the factory but Jeep went the cheap route and thus we have the slip yoke integrated as part of the transfercase output

Originally Posted by BigRed93xj
I find that interesting. I have a 93 with a 4.5in lift, no SYE or transfer case drop, and I have no vibes at all. I wonder why. I really should get a SYE though...
Thats interesting....maybe you have fairly new u-joints that didn't complain about having different angles than they'd been running at? thats what typically causes rear DS vibes
Old 01-13-2010, 10:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Vibe fixes:
TC drop - $5-40, depending, if you buy at lowes or some 4x4 supplier
Axel shimes - $20-40 may stil be needed with TC drop and SYE
SYE $200 or more, best solution.

Personally, I would spend $10 and get angle gauge. Measure rear pinion and TC angles. remember the main issue here is axel pinion angle and the affect on u-joints and drive shaft.
If difference is less than 6-7 deg start with shims and/or theTC drop. TC drop will get you about 2-3 deg at the TC and shims up to 6 deg at the axel.

NEXT, start saving for the SYE.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 93gc40
Vibe fixes:
TC drop - $5-40, depending, if you buy at lowes or some 4x4 supplier
Axel shimes - $20-40 may stil be needed with TC drop and SYE
SYE $200 or more, best solution.

Personally, I would spend $10 and get angle gauge. Measure rear pinion and TC angles. remember the main issue here is axel pinion angle and the affect on u-joints and drive shaft.
If difference is less than 6-7 deg start with shims and/or theTC drop. TC drop will get you about 2-3 deg at the TC and shims up to 6 deg at the axel.

NEXT, start saving for the SYE.
I hope you realize that if you get a SYE you have to reset the pinion angle so it points at the transfercase if you go the smart route and get a double cardan rear driveshaft. otherwise you'd just need shims
Old 01-13-2010, 10:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

4 wheel parts told me that i didnt need the transfer case lowered when i got my 3 inch lift. 2 u-joints later in my driveshaft proved that i did need the lower kit, it was putting too much stress on the u-joint...........i was pissed......so i would lower it. I think i heard once from zacksxj that you can use just abunch of washers to lower it. thats probably the cheapest route and would be considered obama rigged. not sure how strong or safe it would be haha
Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Metlic53
4 wheel parts told me that i didnt need the transfer case lowered when i got my 3 inch lift. 2 u-joints later in my driveshaft proved that i did need the lower kit, it was putting too much stress on the u-joint...........i was pissed......so i would lower it. I think i heard once from zacksxj that you can use just abunch of washers to lower it. thats probably the cheapest route and would be considered obama rigged. not sure how strong or safe it would be haha
Yes, you could do that. or use 4 pieces of 1/4" plate steel and drill a hole in it. I hate spending money I don't need to spend or paying more for stuff than I should so I find ways to do it myself cheaper
Old 01-13-2010, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by ZachsXJ
Yes, you could do that. or use 4 pieces of 1/4" plate steel and drill a hole in it. I hate spending money I don't need to spend or paying more for stuff than I should so I find ways to do it myself cheaper

This is the method I used for my temporary TC drop almost 10 years ago. The 1/4" stripps allow you to fine tune the drop, you might only need 1/2"-3/4" but DO NOT drop more than 1".
Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by 93gc40
This is the method I used for my temporary TC drop almost 10 years ago. The 1/4" stripps allow you to fine tune the drop, you might only need 1/2"-3/4" but DO NOT drop more than 1".
i agree, i had a 1.5 drop and it stressed the motor mounts too much cause of the angle of the motor when the tc was dropped so far.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:57 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: I6 4.0

Originally Posted by Metlic53
LOL! Obama rigged..

What a politically correct way to not say a different word. Finally someone used it on here.

Quick Reply: TC drop question