Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Taking XJ cross country...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Lightbulb Taking XJ cross country...

So I've got a 1995 XJ, 2 door, 4 cylinder, 5 speed. The thing only has 112k miles on it.

Currently it only has one issue, which sounds like crankcase position sensor(?), but I could be wrong. The acceleration is delayed, the idle jumps up and down, and will stall. Also backfires a little, but I'm not sure if that was because the cat is removed and replaced with a piece of exhaust tubing.. I've cleaned the throttle body and sensors, no luck. No vacuum leaks as far as I can tell. This whole thing became progressively worse, from stalling out occasionally on the road since we bought it, to barely being able to keep it running long enough to move around our driveway. Not too sure what it is, maybe someone can help out.

One more thing, around mid-may, me and my friends are getting some beater vehicles and taking them across country (New Jersey to the west coast - where the Jeep came from a year ago!). My choice was the XJ, cause well it was free and I'm hoping needs minimal work.

Once I get the idle all squared away, what else should I replace? By that, I mean what things tend to go around 112k miles? I'm only going to roughly put 10k more miles on it, but I'd rather throw new parts in than have to worry about the Jeep breaking down in the middle of nowhere. I'm looking to drop about $1500 into it and do most of the work myself to save some money. I'm a first time Jeep owner so I don't know much about the wear and tear on these things.

I'll throw a few pictures up eventually. It's not drivable, but I've already went ahead and took out the rear bench, and then built a bed frame with storage space underneath. Any help is much appreciated!
Old 01-11-2017, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

112k is right around the time when O2 sensors will experience failure. Which is also somewhat consistent with the symptoms you have presented (obviously not certain).

Original U-joints will also be pretty worn out by that mileage (front axle u-joints, drive shaft u-joints). Depending on the driving conditions the vehicle operated in.

The cooling system should be gone through and at minimum fully serviced. Replacing anything questionable.

All major electrical connections under the hood (charging/starting/grounds) should be disconnected, thoroughly cleaned till shiny, and tightly reconnected.

ALL fluids (including differentials) should be serviced and all lube points lubed.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
112k is right around the time when O2 sensors will experience failure. Which is also somewhat consistent with the symptoms you have presented (obviously not certain).

Original U-joints will also be pretty worn out by that mileage (front axle u-joints, drive shaft u-joints). Depending on the driving conditions the vehicle operated in.

The cooling system should be gone through and at minimum fully serviced. Replacing anything questionable.

All major electrical connections under the hood (charging/starting/grounds) should be disconnected, thoroughly cleaned till shiny, and tightly reconnected.

ALL fluids (including differentials) should be serviced and all lube points lubed.
Thanks for the help ! Going to be doing all that stuff. Any other sensors that wouldn't do any harm in replacing? The vehicle also spent it's whole life in the suburbs of California/Nevada I believe, so I don't think anything heavy. Before we bought the vehicle in 2015, it sat for at least 4-6 years. Thought I'd add that.

Last edited by joeyourbro; 01-11-2017 at 02:55 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-11-2017, 03:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

At that mileage, I would want an OEM crankshaft position sensor (CPS) on hand. I might not replace it unless necessary, but I would want it in my spare parts kit.

I would also read up on the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) and know how to "jumper" it should the need arise. (I wouldn't replace it for no reason).

Engine Coolant Temperature sensors are typically inexpensive, and also very good to have in the spare parts kit. They don't fail easily, but their readings are pretty important for the computer during startup and running.

(Just realized you have a 5-speed, I don't know about the NSS on that vehicle, but I believe there is still a safety mechanism that ensures the transmission is in park/neutral before allowing a startup)
Old 01-12-2017, 02:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
(Just realized you have a 5-speed, I don't know about the NSS on that vehicle, but I believe there is still a safety mechanism that ensures the transmission is in park/neutral before allowing a startup)
There isn't one on the '95.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

Replace the cat. It is illegal to run without it. It can also get you a hefty ticket in California.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:17 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Not much to say really. Do a tuneup, check wear items like belts and the like. Deal with leaks. Good suggestions so far. A coast-to-coast drive isn't a big deal, it's the same amount of mileage you'd put on in a couple months. Carrying certain spares is an excellent idea for any trip.

1995 automatics have a NSS. Manuals have a clutch interlock switch instead.

Originally Posted by KaMoore
Replace the cat. It is illegal to run without it. It can also get you a hefty ticket in California.
Also this. Discussion of catalytic converter removal is banned from Cherokee Forum.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by KaMoore
I'll look into that too, thanks for the help everyone

Last edited by joeyourbro; 01-13-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:22 PM

Engine: 4.0l l6

You have two o2 sensors, one up stream of the cat and one downstream of the cat. the downstream o2 sensors main job is to check the function of the cat by measuring the amount of oxygen in the exhaust fumes compared to the reading that the upstream o2 sensor gave.

by removing the cat, the downstream o2 sensor will give a false reading and cause the ecm to lean out or rich the fuel mixture which would cause backfiring and an unstable idle.