Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tailgate Speaker Wires!! They do exist!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 01:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994/ 96 engine
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight 6 Baby!
Talking Tailgate Speaker Wires!! They do exist!

94 XJ Here! So I learned something yesterday that even Crutchfield Tech Support could not confirm. My Rear Tailgate deep in the upper realms contains speaker wires with connectors taped up in there to the wire looms. I ordered some speakers for the tailgate from crutchfield and they come with the extra connectors. I was so psyched to be able to just plug em in instead of probing wires and splicing! I am sure this has been covered but to anyone who reads this and wants speakers in the tailgate...get up in there and find those connectors! I bought the jeep with an aftermarket head unit so I ripped open the dash to check the connections. To my surprise they were done well! And the rears were connected! It was like Christmas 2 days before Christmas! Anyway yeh so that is just my advice. It did not come with speakers in the tailgate but it is prewired for them and they fit quite nicely. Sounds good too. So now I have 4 Focal ISC130's running off a sony splode something whatever. Works fine. That is my tip for anyone interested in that. yeah.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

I remember our 94 had tailgate speakers. Loved them for hanging out at camp or down at the river with the liftgate open, seemed to project sound better than the rear soundbar setup.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

I too was very happy when I found mine. Now I want to upgrade from 5.25" to 6.5" speakers in my lift gate. Might go with Polk Audio or something of that quality. I just put in some cheap kickers for now.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SREJECT
I too was very happy when I found mine. Now I want to upgrade from 5.25" to 6.5" speakers in my lift gate. Might go with Polk Audio or something of that quality. I just put in some cheap kickers for now.
Yeah it was pretty awesome. Always loved Polk Audio but now I am partial to Infinity speakers. Even though I installed the Focals I do not like the sound they give out...def short on even midbass in my opinion. But then again they are running off
the head unit so not sure if they need amp power to shine. Not worried about it right now. 6.5s would be pretty sweet! Now I have to go through the whole engine and get the truck running again... these first world problems are killing me!
Old 01-28-2019, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

what does the connector look like ive been hunting wires for my lift gate. to my speakers. have my panel off but dont see anything like speaker wires. it has a square connector that is taped up and 2 single connector that has nothing to it . may that be it. i was about to rip out panels and headliner to look for them.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Would be great to see pics.

On a side note, I have come to my own non-scientific personal opinion that most mainstream brand name automotive speakers are commodity items, with not enough discernible difference to cause one to care about anything other than price, availability and fitment. Sound quality, even if there is a 10% variation in lab tested dynamics, becomes irrelevant in the acoustic morass that is a 20 year old OJ. But YMMV...
Old 01-29-2019, 12:19 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by DCWinterXJ
Yeah it was pretty awesome. Always loved Polk Audio but now I am partial to Infinity speakers. Even though I installed the Focals I do not like the sound they give out...def short on even midbass in my opinion. But then again they are running off
the head unit so not sure if they need amp power to shine. Not worried about it right now. 6.5s would be pretty sweet! Now I have to go through the whole engine and get the truck running again... these first world problems are killing me!
Focals are not even in the same ballpark as the others you mentioned they’re far superior !! You must need more power ! Focal and Hertz are uhhhhh——mayyyyyzing! I dream of running some Focal Or Hertz l
Old 01-29-2019, 09:02 AM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

So here are pictures of the speaker plug in the gate of my 92 2door. The factory radio had a jumper harness behind it to use two speakers. When you removed the jumper harness, the other end plugs into the back of the radio and powers all 4 speakers.

Last edited by Red1992XJ; 01-29-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey17

Focals are not even in the same ballpark as the others you mentioned they’re far superior !! You must need more power ! Focal and Hertz are uhhhhh——mayyyyyzing! I dream of running some Focal Or Hertz l
I hear you trust me...And I have the amplifiers...but I would prob get a new tech amp they are so dam efficient. By that I mean the newest technology/// Anyway I have not used the stereo this whole month because I was busy trying to get the jeep to Run! And then shift properly! and then keep running! It was a really tough month but she is back on the road like a beast. I have not even turned back on the stereo yet with my 4 focals installed haha. maybe this weekend I will get the stereo back on. For now it is all about the engine and trans. "Jeep world problems"
Old 01-29-2019, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

The greatest problem dealing with audio in the Cherokee platform is an almost complete lack of sound deadening. Before one can really listen to music one has to seal out all the ambient noise, just cause it's louder doesn't necessarily make it better.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
The greatest problem dealing with audio in the Cherokee platform is an almost complete lack of sound deadening. Before one can really listen to music one has to seal out all the ambient noise, just cause it's louder doesn't necessarily make it better.
I will have to borrow that foam spray gun from a construction site machine that does housing spray insulation and then sheetrock the interior. Or dynamat the entire vehicle. Not sure which is cheaper. My ambient noise is louder than my air compressor which is wellll load af....