Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tail lights won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Tail lights won't turn off

I am in need of electrical help. My tail lights stay on all the time. Everything else works as normal. I did change the headlight switch and cleaned the black tar out of the box above the brake booster with no luck. I haven't noticed anything else not working.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Is it the tail light or the brake lights? If it's the brake lights. It is more then likely the brake light switch. I just had that problem on my 98 2 days ago. All I did was clean the switch and it took care of my problem. But if it is the tail lights(the ones that come on with the head light that would either be the light switch or wires may have melted and ar shorting.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
Is it the tail light or the brake lights? If it's the brake lights. It is more then likely the brake light switch. I just had that problem on my 98 2 days ago. All I did was clean the switch and it took care of my problem. But if it is the tail lights(the ones that come on with the head light that would either be the light switch or wires may have melted and ar shorting.
Beat me by 10 minutes posting this! The last time my "tail lights" wouldn't turn off it was the plastic brake light switch had worked it's way loose and moved back in the bracket so it was no longer making contact with the pedal. All I did was push it back through the hole a bit. Still works it's way loose every few weeks as I stop and go so I just have to look for it and push it back again.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

After you guys mentioned brake light, I got a chance to get a good look at it this morning and it does appear to be the brake light. The light is dim and brightens up when I hit the brake pedal, that is why I thought it was the taillight. It appears to be working properly now. I will take a look at the brake switch this afternoon to see if anything has come loose.