Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

T-Case drop...good or bad

Old 06-24-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI Power Tech H.O.
Default T-Case drop...good or bad

I ordered a T-case drop kit cause i'm hearing some grinding on the street with only a 3" lift. I read somewhere that there is a better alternative because dropping the t-case defeats the purpose of a lift kit. Are there any good and for the most part inexpensive alternatives? Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The only alternative is a slip yoke eliminator kit. Many are available from various manufacturers.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a SYE, that is the way to go. If you dont know about them I can fill your head with information.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Everybody seems to have an opinion on T-Case Drops.

Mine is that if you are experiencing some driveline vibes that you don't like, and dropping your t-case an inch fixes the problem, then I think it's a good solution. The ground clearance you may end up loosing (if any, often other things are lower then your t-case anyway) will be fairly minimal, and way better then loosing U-Joints on a regular basis or other problems you may run into with excessive driveline vibes...I also agree that a SYE is a good option as well...
Old 06-25-2008, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

WJ couldnt have said it any better. i have a 3" lift and dropped my TC. No issues on that end (and i have hit some tuff trails). like he said as well, there are other things that hang lower than your TC. if you are using your jeep as a DD then the drop is the cheap way to go, and it will be fine. if it sees the trail, well its just personal preffernce.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:56 PM

when you dropped it....did you have to pull the carpet out to get at those bolts so you can put the bracket on the linkage?....i may not be explaining this very well
http://www.jackit.com/t_case_drop_ki..._drop_kits.htm

That what i have...and in order to put that bracket (middle of the picture) on...it looks like i have to tear the carpet up to undo the bolts.....does everyone have to do this?
Old 06-25-2008, 04:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fdulax13
when you dropped it....did you have to pull the carpet out to get at those bolts so you can put the bracket on the linkage?....i may not be explaining this very well
http://www.jackit.com/t_case_drop_ki..._drop_kits.htm

That what i have...and in order to put that bracket (middle of the picture) on...it looks like i have to tear the carpet up to undo the bolts.....does everyone have to do this?
If you got small hands you should be able to do it without removing the carpet. I was able to install that bracket on my TJ by dropping the transfer case skid plate and lowering the drivetrain as far as it goes. It's a tight area to work in but it's doable. How much drop is your kit? You might not even need that bracket. Does the XJ have the same body bracket as the TJ? I never bothered to look. I dropped my t-case 1" before and didn't need to mess with the linkage.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by muddeprived
If you got small hands you should be able to do it without removing the carpet. I was able to install that bracket on my TJ by dropping the transfer case skid plate and lowering the drivetrain as far as it goes. It's a tight area to work in but it's doable. How much drop is your kit? You might not even need that bracket. Does the XJ have the same body bracket as the TJ? I never bothered to look. I dropped my t-case 1" before and didn't need to mess with the linkage.
My drop is a 1" from skyjacker. I printed the directions off online because the kit didn't come with any that were specific to my 2000 xj. They say to drop the plate and put in the spacer brackets like you say...then they say to install the transfer case pivot bracket. They say to install the pivot bracket ON the stock bracket...in order to do that...i need to take off the stock bracket to get the the nuts in there. It looks like i need to tear up the carpet in order to get that OEM bracket off of the body. I hoped there was a way of doing this without tearing up the carpet.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

fdulax you already know the answer to your original post. NO cheap solution and the T/C drop is a band aid for the cause of your noises. You need to commit to the bucks for a SYE and driveshaft.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by fdulax13
My drop is a 1" from skyjacker. I printed the directions off online because the kit didn't come with any that were specific to my 2000 xj. They say to drop the plate and put in the spacer brackets like you say...then they say to install the transfer case pivot bracket. They say to install the pivot bracket ON the stock bracket...in order to do that...i need to take off the stock bracket to get the the nuts in there. It looks like i need to tear up the carpet in order to get that OEM bracket off of the body. I hoped there was a way of doing this without tearing up the carpet.
Do it without the bracket first. I recall seeing alot of kits with t-case drops (1") but they don't include the bracket. You may not need it after all. Alot of xj owners who drop their case fab up their own t-case drops and never bother dropping the linkage.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:36 PM

thanks for the input...ill give it a try and see what happens and post the results. and if i wasn't a broke ***** college student i would def go for the SYE and driveshaft upgrade instead....something i will do in the future i'm sure
Old 06-25-2008, 10:52 PM

Unless you cook your ribs in the trunk of an XJ....then we don't care
Old 06-26-2008, 01:26 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

when i installed the 4.5 RC lift on my 1993, i used an inch TC drop kit as well. I never had any problems with it and i ran it pretty hard. im going to be getting a 4.5 RE lift for my 1996 without a SYE kit again. It was suggested to me that a YJ (believe it was a YJ, could ask again for sure) slip yoke helps reduce the angle increased from the lift as well. you can pick one up from a junk yard or someone who just happens to have one laying around. its much cheaper than a SYE kit and drive shaft. but i am not saying the SYE kit is a bad idea. if you have the money do it. but if you are on budget like me, i havent had any problems with the TC drop kit.

just trying to help
Old 06-26-2008, 08:50 AM
CF Veteran

I got an email about a post on this thread talking about cooking ribs?? What the......
Old 06-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by muddeprived
I got an email about a post on this thread talking about cooking ribs?? What the......
Are you sure this is the correct thread or even the correct section of the forum? Ribs uuummmmmhhhh!!!!!! Tasty!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T-Case drop...good or bad