Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

SYE and Driveshaft Vs. T-Case Drop

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default SYE and Driveshaft Vs. T-Case Drop

I currently have a stock 2000 XJ and I want to put an RE 3.5" Superflex Kit on it. I have heard that I probably won't need to get and SYE and Driveshaft... My question is if I don't does that mean I have to drop my Transfer Case? I plan on using this as my DD and off-road vehicle.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 12-14-2010, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 91 Limited

Some will say yeah some will say no. I have a drop with my 3.5 Sky jacker kit.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 PM

So depending on who I talk to I will need the SYE and Driveshaft, some will say I just need to drop my T-Case, and others will say I don't need to do anything?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Well from what I have read on these type of threads, is that it will be a tcase drop or nothing. I think it depends on how your Jeep reacts to the lift.

Im not the most knowledgeable, Im sure someone else will chime in. (probably with a better explanation of what I said)
Old 12-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wont know till you lift it. A sye is a true fix where a t-case drop is not. It just covers up the issue. I have the same lift on my 99 and i dont have any vibes, so I dont run either. Every jeep is different though.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 PM

I was thinking it would be a good idea to do the lift, see how it drives and if I seem to get some bad vibes, then go with one of the two...

Also, I am very novice on the subject but around the same time I go with the lift, I was thinking of a locker. How will that come into play with it? Or is it a completely different subject?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Skyline
I was thinking it would be a good idea to do the lift, see how it drives and if I seem to get some bad vibes, then go with one of the two...

Also, I am very novice on the subject but around the same time I go with the lift, I was thinking of a locker. How will that come into play with it? Or is it a completely different subject?
Kind of a different subject and if its a dd then it would be locker not lockers. You will hate front and rear lockers on a dd.

Unless you are talking about air lockers. Another question why so you want to add lockers?

Last edited by jmm0122; 12-14-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by jmm0122
Kind of a different subject and if its a dd then it would be locker not lockers. You will hate front and rear lockers on a dd.

Unless you are talking about air lockers. Another question why so you want to add lockers?
I feel a little lost... how many different types are out there! I don't mind a rough ride as far as a DD goes, but I do want to have some good capabilities off-road. Also, my budget will only allow a rear locker(at least at first)
Old 12-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Registered Users

I feel a little lost... how many different types are out there! I don't mind a rough ride as far as a DD goes, but I do want to have some good capabilities off-road. Also, my budget will only allow a rear locker(at least at first)
There are several different types. The cheapest are lunchbox lockers. These automatically engage when traction is needed. Adding two in a daily driver is not recommended because the constant engaging and disengaging will make it very difficult to drive. Because it is a daily driver I would just put one in the rear. The front is better for offroading but again will make it difficult to drive on the street. Nothing that you cant get used too but it all depends on your driving habits.

Then you have selectable and air lockers that are more expensive and use air to activate them. So basically they act like an open diff until engaged. These are your best option but they are pretty expensive.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:21 PM

Ok thanks!

I'm on a budget, but I do not allow myself to buy anything that isn't quality. I may not go top of the line, but I do get good/high quality stuff, and may go for something like a rear air locker.

I think that going on a 3.5" will be okay at least for a little while with out and SYE and Driveshaft. But if I need it I guess that would be the next thing on my list because I don't really want to drop the t-case, cause that starts to take away from the clearance that I achieved with the lift
Old 12-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Registered Users

Ok thanks!

I'm on a budget, but I do not allow myself to buy anything that isn't quality. I may not go top of the line, but I do get good/high quality stuff, and may go for something like a rear air locker.

I think that going on a 3.5" will be okay at least for a little while with out and SYE and Driveshaft. But if I need it I guess that would be the next thing on my list because I don't really want to drop the t-case, cause that starts to take away from the clearance that I achieved with the lift
Sounds good to me. Just a heads up though if you get vibes after you lift it you will need to do something because it will lead to some pretty serious problems. I would recommend at least buying a t-case drop when you buy your lift. They are only like $25 so you wont be out a bunch of money if you dont need it and you will have one if you do need it. That will give you time to save up for a sye. The ground clearance that you will lose with the t-case drop wont be worth the headache that you will run into with out anything.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:32 PM

Yeah I was either going to have the money on hand for an SYE so all I would need to do is run out and get it done or have a t-case drop ready to go. My father one evening was talking to a mechanic about it one day and he said that it was about 1" drop for the 3.5" lift.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

ive got a 4.5 inch and i have a drop crossmember, but like jmm0122 said, its just kinda covers it up a little, and i still do have vibes, but nowhere near as bad as i did when i first did my lift, sye is coming next month though
Old 12-14-2010, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by cherokeeaddiction23
ive got a 4.5 inch and i have a drop crossmember, but like jmm0122 said, its just kinda covers it up a little, and i still do have vibes, but nowhere near as bad as i did when i first did my lift, sye is coming next month though
Yeah I figured at 4.5 it had to go in, but at a 3.5 I people said I was right on that line where I might or might not need it... Though I am jealous of your 4.5... I can't go any higher than a 3.5 on 31s
Old 12-14-2010, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah I figured at 4.5 it had to go in, but at a 3.5 I people said I was right on that line where I might or might not need it... Though I am jealous of your 4.5... I can't go any higher than a 3.5 on 31s
Why cant you?

Quick Reply: SYE and Driveshaft Vs. T-Case Drop