Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Switching Climate Control with CD Receiver/Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L6
Default Switching Climate Control with CD Receiver/Radio

Hey guys, I've been looking into getting a CD/Bluetooth/Sirius Receiver for my 1990 Jeep Cherokee. The ones I'd like to get have a screen that flips out and slides back inside of the unit when you're not using it, that way I can fit it into the single din slot of the stock radio.

However, the placement of the stock radio is in the top spot and due to the dash, it would not be able to flip up and out obviously. I'm wondering if anyone's already tore apart their dash and has seen the inner spaces there to know if you could switch the climate control up to the top area and then put the new receiver into the that spot.

I'm sure I could easily find out somehow by tearing it apart but I'd rather not do that just to see about something one of you guys might know off of the top of your heads. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I have not attempted to swap the two's locations. But I have had the heat controls of my 90 loose. The linkages were JUST long enough. I couldn't pull the controls out very far. I'm not sure if the linkages would reach to the top slot.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:25 PM

I completely forgot that a lot of those controls are mechanical linkages that run it but I thought it was just a wire cable and I could adjust the length of the cable if need be though.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

If you read reviews on that type of unit, you will find a high failure rate with that type of folding screen. I researched several about 9 mo. ago and only a couple of people making them.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:10 PM

Maybe so but I've seen several different companies on Amazon and elsewhere making them and while there was a couple defective ones, most were decent enough reviews. I don't expect it to last forever but it won't much matter if I can't switch the radio and climate control spots.

I got to thinking if I couldn't change the climate control spot, maybe I could reroute the vent that's in the bottom spot, not sure if that would be possible either obviously.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Seems to be a hassle just for a screen no? I honestly don't think it's worth the trouble. I remember a few years back seeing one that dropped down instead of up..but I don't think there is any currently made.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would suggest deleting the vent, drop the controls down, and fit a double DIN touch screen in the dash. Bit of custom work, but I think the end product will be better if you cut the dash bezel to fit cleanly.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:15 PM

I would like a double din but that seems like more work possibly and that center vent supplies the most air to me while driving. Also, if I could drop the controls down to the vent area, then I could move it up as I was hoping to do in the OP, which is what I was hoping to find out.