Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

switch issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default switch issues

Hey guys n gals! I recently lost the keys to my 1990 XJ. Ordered new switch with keys, removed old one, installed new one, but the new switch doesn't turn far enough to start engine. Putting it in wrong or what? Pretty sure I'm doing it right. Wrong switch? Looks almost identical to original. Any tips? Help!
Old 07-20-2013, 07:22 PM

Year: 1998 and 1988
Engine: 4.7

Originally Posted by hi n dry
Hey guys n gals! I recently lost the keys to my 1990 XJ. Ordered new switch with keys, removed old one, installed new one, but the new switch doesn't turn far enough to start engine. Putting it in wrong or what? Pretty sure I'm doing it right. Wrong switch? Looks almost identical to original. Any tips? Help!
My keys where so worn out that they where falling out of the ignition while driving over bumps.
I went to the dealership and they cut me a new one using my VIN#
they wanted $25 for the blank key so I went and got one for $5 at the local key cut place then went back to the dealership. They cut it for free cause they told me that the code for the cost is from the sale of the key. No sale, no cost.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The actual ignition switch is further down the column, on top. It's connected to the key cylinder by a rod which may be out of adjustment. You can loosen the mount for the switch and adjust it so the travel is correct.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 PM

Well, the problem with my switch was that I tried to save a buck and got what I paid for, junk! I fixed it by diegrinding a little material off the rotation limit stop on the switch so it turned a little further and "bingo" starts every time. Thanks to Radi for his tip on the adjustment method! That would have worked too I'm sure. It's all good now!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:40 PM

Year: 1998 and 1988
Engine: 4.7

Originally Posted by hi n dry
Well, the problem with my switch was that I tried to save a buck and got what I paid for, junk! I fixed it by diegrinding a little material off the rotation limit stop on the switch so it turned a little further and "bingo" starts every time. Thanks to Radi for his tip on the adjustment method! That would have worked too I'm sure. It's all good now!
Whatever works man.

Virtual repairs is not an exact science.