Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sways With Slightest Dip in Road

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Sways With Slightest Dip in Road

Hey guys newbie here, new to the xj world, been a cj guy for a long time. I bought a 92 xj, cheap, 184k, runs sweet, hardly any rust. I put a new, used rear in it and gave it a good ride around the neighborhood. I notice whenever ya hit the slightest dip in the road, the whole jeep dips to the right or left. I put new front sway bar links and bushings which were wasted, its better but not right. I can stand next to this jeep and rock it, like no jeep ive ever owned before. The rear springs are flat, ok to be expected, front coils look ok, replaced rear shocks, steering stabilizer, the rear has a sway bar, idk why, never had one of those on a cj, does that do anything?? Front track bar looks ok I guess, it feels top heavy when driving it, way too much body roll, what am I missing??
Old 11-14-2016, 01:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jeepjunk4
Hey guys newbie here, new to the xj world, been a cj guy for a long time. I bought a 92 xj, cheap, 184k, runs sweet, hardly any rust. I put a new, used rear in it and gave it a good ride around the neighborhood. I notice whenever ya hit the slightest dip in the road, the whole jeep dips to the right or left. I put new front sway bar links and bushings which were wasted, its better but not right. I can stand next to this jeep and rock it, like no jeep ive ever owned before. The rear springs are flat, ok to be expected, front coils look ok, replaced rear shocks, steering stabilizer, the rear has a sway bar, idk why, never had one of those on a cj, does that do anything?? Front track bar looks ok I guess, it feels top heavy when driving it, way too much body roll, what am I missing??
Why replace the rear shocks and not front as well? Maybe bad shocks?
Old 11-14-2016, 02:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Martlor beat me to it. Replace the front shocks too. And no, the rear sway bar really doesn't do much
Old 11-14-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Do you just have body roll or does the whole front end move side to side?
Try this: jeep idling on solid surface, move steering wheel side to side quarter or half turn. Does the front end seem to actually move sideways counter to steering input?
If so, check the trackbar carefully with attention to mount points on axle, frame bracket, and bracket to frame.
Trackbars are a wear item pure and simple.
Also, sometimes the frame can start to flex where the bracket mounts to the frame.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:43 PM

Because the front shocks look relatively new, the stabilizer was leaking, the front links were shot and the rear shocks had to come out anyway. Trying not to throw money at it.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Because the front shocks look relatively new, the stabilizer was leaking, the front links were shot and the rear shocks had to come out anyway. Trying not to throw money at it.
Looks are extremely deceiving. What your describing sounds like bad shocks.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:49 PM
CF Veteran

We like the parts cannon around here. If you listen closely, those faint booms in the distance is the sound of a parts cannon firing. They'll be posting a "HELP JEEP WONT RUN" thread in a few minutes....

Easy way to check the front shocks is to just push down on the front end super hard and see how many times it bounces. If it bounces about 3 times then the shocks are pretty much done. And I mean good bounces where you could dribble the front end like a basketball haha. Definitely a good idea to check the track bar and all of it's components/attaching points.

Last edited by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ; 11-14-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:31 PM

Parts cannon. lol. I see ur from ocean county, u guys like playing in the mud. I see a lot of muddy jeeps down there. The whole front end seems tight, including the track bar. I will try to dribble the front end later. Thanks
Old 11-14-2016, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Parts cannon. lol. I see ur from ocean county, u guys like playing in the mud. I see a lot of muddy jeeps down there. The whole front end seems tight, including the track bar.
Not my crew. We avoid mud. That's what the JK owners do. Find a mud hole, drive through it, turn around, drive through it again. They are now real jeepers..... But there are quite a bit of people who build mud trucks I'll give you that. I've never been into it.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:41 PM

it doesn't bounce, pushed it down 3 hard times and stopped bouncing when I stopped. Moves a lot tho when I push it sideways
Old 11-14-2016, 05:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

Sounds like the track bar to me. Get someone to push on the Jeep while you are under it and watch the track bar mounts. Also, the XJs are known for the 'frame' developing cracks around the steering box. Might check that out while you are under there.

FWIW. I've had my 90 for about 6 months. Lifted 5" on 33s. Before the XJ, I daily drove a 2002 Z28. Compared to that, the XJ floats like a boat.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:49 PM

Thanks for your help. Good suggestions, ruling out shocks, the sway bar is good, the track bar looks solid, steering box is solid on frame, doesn't move at all when wheels are turned and I don't see any cracks. Ive always had cj's, my daily is an 85 cj7, lifted on 33's with a ford 302, so I know what a bad ride is. Leafs all around on a light truck. Ive had many fsj Cherokees true tanks, ride like a caddy, those trucks u don't drive, ya just ride em. And Ive lifted many cj's, so Im familiar with front sway bars, that rear sway bar s#$t I don't get, the track bar thing, Im learning. What do the lower control arms do?? and could they have anything to do with it?? how do I test them?? although they seem to be in good shape from what I can see.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

I don't get, the track bar thing, Im learning. What do the lower control arms do?? and could they have anything to do with it?? how do I test them?? although they seem to be in good shape from what I can see.
Control arms allow the axle to move in an arc up and down

The track bar's job is to keep the axle centered under the vehicle. Without it, the body basically floats over the axle and is extremely dangerous to drive. I'm sure there are plenty of guys here to attest to what it's like when the track bar bolt breaks

Read this article, lots of good stuff here. http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/09...basics-part-2/
Old 11-15-2016, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the education. I guess Im used to working with full frame trucks and jeeps. Idk that I would get too involved making this thing wheel, I Think I'll just leave it as a grocery getter. I did pull the rear sway bar and it does track better, why??? idk. Thanks again.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997

If you are swaying side to side over dips and small hills like someone is rocking the vehicle, shocks are #1 on my list. Shocks dampen the up and down movement. The springs hold the vehicle up. When the shocks wear out, the springs are forced to do all the work. Because springs are typically softer than the shocks, they make for a bouncy ride. Check your bumpstops while you are at it. Bumpstops are there to keep the suspension from bottoming out, but if the shocks are wore out you may be bouncing off the bumpstops. If they look ok, leave them be.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 11-15-2016 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Sways With Slightest Dip in Road