Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Swapping Downstream O2 Sensor Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, 178k miles
Default Swapping Downstream O2 Sensor Wiring

Hi everyone, I've got a 98 Cherokee Sport with the 4.0L. Just finished up the water pump and thermostat replacement (big thanks to everyone on this forum by the way for the writeups) and now it's on to the next problem.

I've got a question regarding swapping O2 sensor lines...let me try to explain. The downstream (post-cat) O2 sensor wiring harness (not the actual sensor & pigtail itself) was ripped off by the PO when he was wheeling. The wiring harness itself was sheared just after the cat, the wires are exposed now, and I've got a CEL. I was planning on going to a junkyard tomorrow to cut off a length of wiring to attach to the O2 sensor to hopefully clear up the CEL.

Is it possible to use the wiring from another year XJ or even MJ, splice it to my existing line, and connect it up to the sensor that's on my Jeep now? The sensor right now has a 4-pin connector. If not, does anyone know where I could go about finding a new harness to connect to the ECU? Thanks!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I do remeber someone telling me about there being a certain length to a 02 sensor line from the plug to exhaust mount and there being problems if you were to extend them.

theres no harm in trying to splice a harness together, as long as u make the proper connections as to not cause any shorts, You should be fine. make sure its the same connection as your own. i do believe the earlier years don't have the same plug, bring the sensor with you to the JY to make sure.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, 178k miles

Definitely a good idea to bring the old sensor when I go to the JY. Thanks for the help!