Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Swapped AC compressor - quiet, but not cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 12:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Swapped AC compressor - quiet, but not cold

The AC compressor on my 01 crapped the bed, in the sense that if you turned it on, it would squeal to no end. Usually I'd have to turn it on-off about five times before it would cycle on without squealing, but I couldn't push it past level one. If I came to a stop, I'd have to turn it off and try it again at once I got up to speed. But that was all just to keep it quiet - it blew plenty cold. I've had this issue with other past XJs and I knew the compressor was dying.

I just swapped it out for a junkyard unit, and not I can turn the jeep on with it on full and she's quiet, but doesn't really blow cold.... What am I missing?

Yes, I recharged it

I searched, but didn't find an answer.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Flush, orifice, filter-dryer, vacuum, recharge with proper amount of 134A all done correctly?
Old 06-22-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XJpax
The AC compressor on my 01 crapped the bed, in the sense that if you turned it on, it would squeal to no end. Usually I'd have to turn it on-off about five times before it would cycle on without squealing, but I couldn't push it past level one. If I came to a stop, I'd have to turn it off and try it again at once I got up to speed. But that was all just to keep it quiet - it blew plenty cold. I've had this issue with other past XJs and I knew the compressor was dying.

I just swapped it out for a junkyard unit, and not I can turn the jeep on with it on full and she's quiet, but doesn't really blow cold.... What am I missing?

Yes, I recharged it

I searched, but didn't find an answer.
If you open the system, you should replace the drier and orifice(if equipped). Recharge needs the jeep running, AC on max and gauge adjusted for temperature. Then you fill to the proper range, also need to check PAG oil level, especially on a JY swap. Lots of good write ups on steps.

I'm assuming you pulled a vacuum and made sure the system was free from leaks. If you didn't then the recharge would have leaked right out.

Also, last obvious thing, check the AC clutch relay to see if it's bad or not engaging. Just swap it for another good one and see if it kicks on.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Relay and fuses are good, system held/holds pressure, jumpered LP and HP switches to check, pulled clutch and cleaned it, checked shim gaps.

Clutch still refuses to engage.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Bad clutch.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XJpax
Relay and fuses are good, system held/holds pressure, jumpered LP and HP switches to check, pulled clutch and cleaned it, checked shim gaps.

Clutch still refuses to engage.
Sometimes when you go junkyard you are just buying the broken part you already have. No point in chasing your tail anymore. New compressor is 200 bucks, lots of options online.