Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Swap part time TC to full time?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 05:25 PM
N8N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Swap part time TC to full time?

yeah, I haven't even picked up my new ride yet and I'm already thinking... how hard is it to swap TC's from part time to full time? ('99) I see from a little research that I will need at least the TC itself and a rear driveshaft, not to mention the little indicator thingy for the console. I am assuming that the shifter is different as well, or is it the same? Can anyone tell me if any of the ABS parts are different between a PT and FT vehicle? (I have ABS and don't necessarily want to disable it.)

If I were to find a similar jeep with a 5-speed and FT TC I would be really tempted to grab them both. Would that be more work than it's worth?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L I6

i have one in my parts jeep thats got a cracked case... otherwise id do it too. seems like a lot of work for not a lot of gain.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6

first of all the output shaft on your 5spd will be a 23spline,not sure what auto they were running in '99 and whether it was still 21spline or if they had switched to 23spline[somebody will have to clarify this]

so thats your first issue, its likely your going to have to swap the input shaft on the NP/NV242[FT] to a 23spline.

as said you will most likely need proper drive shafts.

and a bit of info i was given when i was debating doing the AX15/NP242 combo is this, the NP242 acts like a differential and allows slipping, something that is not noticed when going through the gears in at automatic but with the 5spd you have a direct connection and this slipping i was told is quite noticeable and undesirable, some people didnt mind it but most said they wouldnt do it again.

its said to be more work than its worth.......but who am i to talk, im in the middle of putting a '94+ AX15/NP231 into my '89 that was auto, so in the end its up to you to decide is the pros outweigh the cons with the final outcome and if you have the means to do it yourself.