Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Suspension issues

Rubbing issues... Be aware there are a lot of moving parts in this post...

I installed a 2" budget boost setup a few months ago, i.e. shackles in the rear and the pucks up front. The jeep looks great. It should be noted that it is currently sitting on 30's.

Now the problem is, when I sit 2+ people in the rear or when I pack up the rear with hundreds of pounds bc I am running errands, the rear rubs like crazy. It's rubbing the inner portion of the fenders.

Also, the front rubs at times, i.e. full turn and hitting a bump. It is rubbing the same portion of the inner fenders.

Here are my concerns...

1) It's very difficult to run errands or host the car-pool when trying to fit friends in the truck.

2) I purchased a plow and all the components for it. Once it is installed, it will sag a little more up front causing rubbing

Cutting the fenders is out of the question, as is removing them. I like the look of them.

So what I am asking is....

1) What is the cheapest, best way to stiffen up the rear? AAL? I wouldn't mind another inch of lift in the back.

2) Is my best alternative for the front going to a 3" spacer, or just running air bags up front when plowing?

The problem is my tires at this point.... I will not go back to stock wheels either!
Old 06-08-2015, 11:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just to show yas a photo. It's very simple looking. Not over the top. It does have tinted windows now, though. And I'm ripping the side moldings off.

Back on topic though. What do I do with the lift!

Name:  photo%201_zpsxj4vad4l.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  138.0 KB
Old 06-08-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
Just to show yas a photo. It's very simple looking. Not over the top. It does have tinted windows now, though. And I'm ripping the side moldings off.

Back on topic though. What do I do with the lift!

Well the bottom line is the tires are too big for the lift and it looks like you are sagging in the rear already(very common). So you've got a couple of ways to go. Adding a leaf to sagging springs is not going to do much. You could add a full leaf pack in the rear and new springs up front. 3 inch kit most places is about 450( full springs, shocks and leaf packs). That will get you some room, not too extreme and get rid of the sag as well. If you are committed to the budget boost, you could just remove the fender flares then do a cut and fold to tuck in the sheet metal. I would just sell the budget boost parts and do a 3 inch kit, that way you keep the tires and wheels.

Oh also, technically this would go in modified Cherokee tech since its lift related.