Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Surging voltage and loss of power at drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Surging voltage and loss of power at drivetrain

Help!!! I have a 2001 Cherokee limited that is giving me all sorts of electrical issues. It started this past saturday when the volt gauge was pegged past 19 volts. In a day and a half Ive replaced the ECM, positive cables and the alternator. Its still surging electricity making the lights go crazy and sometimes when im driving the jeep feels like its slowing down. Example: last night after pulling off the road to shut the vehicle off to stop the surging, I started it up and at full throttle it would only creep down the road. Again I pulled over shut it off and started regaining full power at the wheels but still intermittently surging electrical power and then pegging past 19 volts. Any input or advice would be appreciated considering Im standed in northern NJ right now.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Yow! That's some scary stuff!

Has this behavior touched-off a Check Engine Light (CEL)?

First remember the rule to "keep it simple". Because 9-out-of-10 times that's exactly what it is and you don't want to throw a ton of money at it to find that out.

Do you have a second person nearby to monitor the voltmeter while you jiggle wires around? You'll want to know if something you touch sends the measured value back to normal...

There is a battery temperature sensor located in bottom of the battery tray which affects charge voltage. If defective then it can cause erratic power supply or charging system output. I don't know if the sensor can cause any codes leading to a CEL.

Inspect all accessible terminations and grounds. Are they clean, tight and unbroken?

Do the best you can to inspect any/all cabling that could be chafing against hot and or bare metal surfaces.

Are you able to get yourself and your Jeep to an AutoZone or the like?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Thanks for the reply Cherryokee. Yes I had it at my uncles restoration shop this morning chasing wires through the main harness to the ECM. There seems to be a problem in the Deutsch connector so we re-ran the harness so the wires are straight and not bent as they would through the factory sheathing. So far this quick fix is working but for how long, I dont know. Also i did not know about the battery temp sensor but I will Ohm it out to see if its faulty.