Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sun/moon roof leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Sun/moon roof leak

Hey everyone. I just purchased my first 00' jeep Cherokee sport. It came with a sun roof, and the other day I went through a car wash with no issues. Then yesterday (4/26) I left the jeep outside during some heavy rain. I noticed i had quite a bit of water coming in somewhere near the sun roof. I drove it to work, parked it and I was furious because my headliner was soaked and separated from the part it's glued onto. Now, I know some vehicles (maybe all) that have sun roofs are equipped with some sort of drainage/wheep hole, my question is, does this exist on my 2000? Maybe the seal is rotted, or the glass wasn't sealed tight enough. I basically gutted the roof and covers to see where it was coming from after work which about 9hrs elapsed. Of course the interior was dry except for the headliner. After I ripped it all apart, I got the hose out, and let it rain around the seal and saw nothing for the couple minutes the hose was up there. Any information would be great! Thanks
Old 04-27-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Most of the leaks like that are drains being plugged. It started on my wife's Commander and I hit each drain hole with about 100psi with the air compressor. Try it and just pour a cup of water in the outer drain channel and it should drop out under the rig.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RED RIVER
Most of the leaks like that are drains being plugged. It started on my wife's Commander and I hit each drain hole with about 100psi with the air compressor. Try it and just pour a cup of water in the outer drain channel and it should drop out under the rig.
Are the drain holes marked? I really didn't see anything that looked like a drain hole. That was my initial troubleshooting response when it happened, but I looked yesterday and didn't see anything.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Mine were both located in the front corners. If you poor the water in, where ever it pools there should be a small drain hole. My Commander and my GC both have them.