Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sudden stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Sudden stalling

got a 99 cherokee with a 4.0l auto,195k on it. It starts just fine(the occasional long cranking over) after it gets warmed up and i'm driving it out and about, sometimes it will suddenly just stall at a stop light. That has happened a few times, then just this morning, it actually stalled as i was rounding a curve at about 10mph. Pull over and put it in park then crank it over and it starts right back up. Any suggestions? i was thinking plugs,wires,coil and distributor. Also planning on replacing the fuel injectors this weekend cuz they have never been removed or cleaned as far as i can tell.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by millbro
got a 99 cherokee with a 4.0l auto,195k on it. It starts just fine(the occasional long cranking over) after it gets warmed up and i'm driving it out and about, sometimes it will suddenly just stall at a stop light. That has happened a few times, then just this morning, it actually stalled as i was rounding a curve at about 10mph. Pull over and put it in park then crank it over and it starts right back up. Any suggestions? i was thinking plugs,wires,coil and distributor. Also planning on replacing the fuel injectors this weekend cuz they have never been removed or cleaned as far as i can tell.
This would be a good start. But I would also consider changing out you cps. From the symptoms that you have described have all of the ear marking of a cps going south. Don't get me wrong I can many other thing too.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:05 AM

what is the cps?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

crankshaft positioning sensor. but i would start by replacing the fuel filter honestly.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Sounds like the CPS.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:24 AM

thanks for all the input guys. I'll check into the cps and i think i'm still gonna do all the other stuff i was talking about too because it's never been done as far as i can tell.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:13 AM

Had the same symptoms, it was the crank sensor. CSS638 from NAPA, $80.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ckysodkorn_xj
crankshaft positioning sensor. but i would start by replacing the fuel filter honestly.
The fuel filter is in the fuel pump module assembly.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:08 AM

bought a new cps yesterday and have yet to install it. another bit of info though that happened late yesterday afternoon. As I got onto the freeway, I look down and the volt meter is reading no volts and the gas gauge is at empty(just filled up). I figure that when I stop and shut it down or if it stalls, i'll be out of luck. so I run over the the local autozone and have them test the charging system and it all checks out fine. Could all this have to do with that cps as well? After stopping the car and restarting a couple times, the volts went back up to 14 and the gas gauge was working again.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

bought a new cps yesterday and have yet to install it. another bit of info though that happened late yesterday afternoon. As I got onto the freeway, I look down and the volt meter is reading no volts and the gas gauge is at empty(just filled up). I figure that when I stop and shut it down or if it stalls, i'll be out of luck. so I run over the the local autozone and have them test the charging system and it all checks out fine. Could all this have to do with that cps as well? After stopping the car and restarting a couple times, the volts went back up to 14 and the gas gauge was working again.
Are those the only gauges that dropped out or did they all stop working? That may just be a dirty or loose connection behind the instrument cluster.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:55 PM

those are the only 2 that went out. after seeing that the volts were not reading and the gas gauge wasn't working, I stopped and shut it down and when I fired it back up the volts went to about 10 or 11 volts and held there for a couple minutes then dropped off all the way again. it did that a couple times before I went and got the system checked and was told everything was normal. the test showed that the alternator was putting out about 13.3and bumping around that zone which I would say is pretty normal but I could be mistaken.

Everything seems to be ok today. I changes the plugs,wires, and cap and rotor and also put in the new cps. I'll keep the info coming as it happens. Just a little uneasy about takin it on along drive now.