Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stumbles Badly WOT Above 45-50MPH

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Stumbles Badly WOT Above 45-50MPH

As it says the engine stumbles at WOT above 45-50 mph continues till I let up on the peddle. If I slowly accelerate no problems runs smooth up to 75+ on highway. I had been getting a check engine light for 4 months or so but not all the time. It would come and go, with this issue no cel appears.

I'm still not ready for the new engine and no matter this issue has to be fixed as it will follow to the new engine as well. Could it be one of the sensors cam, throttle, crank of fuel delivery? Idea's of where I should start on this for a possible fix?
Old 05-23-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999 Classic

Have you checked your fuel pressure?
Old 05-23-2014, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Have you checked to see what the code is?
Old 05-23-2014, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
As it says the engine stumbles at WOT above 45-50 mph continues till I let up on the peddle. If I slowly accelerate no problems runs smooth up to 75+ on highway. I had been getting a check engine light for 4 months or so but not all the time. It would come and go, with this issue no cel appears.

I'm still not ready for the new engine and no matter this issue has to be fixed as it will follow to the new engine as well. Could it be one of the sensors cam, throttle, crank of fuel delivery? Idea's of where I should start on this for a possible fix?
At WOT the PCM goes into open loop. The PCM relies on inputs from ther CPS, ECT, IAT, MAP, TPS, and the camshaft position sensor, but not the O2S'.

I think your TPS is not agreeing with the MAP in this case and at WOT the fuel injectors are leaning out. You can see when you feather the throttle it somewhat acts okay, and it's in closed loop so the O2S' are helping control the fuel injector band width, maintaining an adequate rich mixture.

My thoughts are that you should check the TPS sweep using and analog Ohmmeter to see if there is a dead spot. And check the TPS closed/WOT voltages using a digital voltmeter.

This is a start.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Have you checked to see what the code is?
I have several codes stored and have cleared them 3 different times. When the CEL comes back on and they are checked again most all will be different from what the others were. The exceptions have twice it was shown a problem with # 1/3 cyd's not firing. The last time it was a different set of cyd's not firing and that was it. Rather vague that could have been a lot of different things causing that.

This is a difficult problem for me to post online and expect anyone to understand what I can't get a grip on myself with the changing codes.

t-cell....I will check it this morning when I go out to the shop it I have all the fittings here I need thanks.

CCken.....Just pulled my DMM out of my drawer here in my radio shack that I use for amateur radio repair, a Fluke and check it right off the bat. I had forgotten how to check that sensor for function using a DMM.

Finally found my analog MM hadn't used it for a while.

Thanks guys!!

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 05-24-2014 at 05:34 AM.