Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stuck steering stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Stuck steering stabilizer

Hey guys, I've got an original steering stabilizer on my 2001 cherokee that I'm trying to replace with a new one. I'm not having problems with the tapered bolt end, but the opposite end is rusted and I'm having problems getting leverage to break the bolt loose. I've tried loosening from the front on the bolt and from the rear on the nut, and sprayed it with pb blaster. I'm thinking the next step would be using heat with a propane torch, but before I gave it a shot, any reason not to try it?
Old 12-12-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Spray some penetrating oil on it and let it sit for 30 minutes or so and then try turning it with a breaker bar. If that doesn't work, then spray some more oil on it and maybe ding on it with a hammer lightly as to get the oil to penetrate a bit more but not dent up the flange. Spray a bit more on it and let it sit for a few hours or even overnight and then try again with the breaker bar the next day.

If that doesn't work, you can probably just grind the bolt-end off and then pound the rest out with a punch and hammer.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

For a breaker bar, you can get a black metal plumbing 'nipple', probably 3/4" x 12" or 18" from the hardware store for cheap...
Old 12-12-2014, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy 8s
For a breaker bar, you can get a black metal plumbing 'nipple', probably 3/4" x 12" or 18" from the hardware store for cheap...
Yeah, I thought of that too. But I had the front end up on jackstands after changing the brake pads and bleeding the new power steering pump and didn't really feel comfortable yanking on it without the tires on it and on the ground. I sprayed it again with pb blaster and let it sit overnight. I'll put it up on ramps tomorrow and really go after it with the breaker bar.