Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Strange vehicle jerking/bucking

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Strange vehicle jerking/bucking

First of all, Hello! I'm Dave and I'm new here. I have a '99 Cherokee Classic 4liter 4wd, automatic, 87k miles. I would say I'm novice to working on jeeps, but learning more as I go.

Recently, my jeep started to do this weird jerking/bucking motion when recovering from a dip in the road at highway speeds (40-55). It only seems to do it when most of the weight of the vehicle is off the rear end after a dip or bump in the road. I can also reproduce it by making hard right turns such as an off ramp/on ramp exit.
It does not seem to do it during left turns, only straight on or right turns that involve some part of the road that makes the right rear vehicle weight lighter.
Otherwise, it drives like new. It shifts smoothly, normal acceleration, checked the 4wd and works smooth - no binding, and has no check engine light. It just occurs when weight is slightly off the right rear and I see nothing broken underneath (with my novice observations). There are no fluid leaks anywhere, and fluids are in good condition. It's making me crazy. I want to solve and repair it on my own, but having trouble pinpointing the issue and may have to get a dealership to do it. Just wanted to see if anyone has ever experienced this issue. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by nc10; 05-31-2010 at 09:32 AM.