Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Strange shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 IL 6
Default Strange shimmy

I own a 1991 Cherokee Laredo and after I had an issue with the right front caliper locking up I have been experiencing a strange shake at certain speeds. I have already replaced the caliper, rotor and brake pads and the shake is persisting. I checked over the track rod, tie rod ends, everything associated with the steering rack and everything looks and feels solid. I'm not sure what could be causing this issue. I am thinking maybe a tire out of balance or the bearing need to be switched out (which would be really annoying since a mechanic said it was fine not a month ago -_-) I have also replaced both sets of ball joints and the driver side bearing already. UCAs and LCAs look good as do the bushings. I'm really at a loss at this point. I've also noticed that my wheels are both facing out when I am parked with the car off. I understand this can be called toe out but can there be too much toe out? Sorry for the lengthy post but I'm trying to give as many details as possible. I've been told that I need to change the steering damper as well but I feel like it won't be that simple. Any input on this would be great.