Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Strange random no start condition!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4L
Default Strange random no start condition!

I have a strange problem. My 1996 Cherokee Classichad what seemed to be a dead battery condition last Thursday but I realizedNOTHING worked not even the horn or lights! I checked for fuses and all wasgood so I jump started it and it ran. Thebattery is a Duralast 58DLG purchased 11/4/2012 with a 5 year warranty. I turned the Jeep off and charged it overnightto get it back in working condition. Thenext morning it started quickly but initially ran rough. I usedit Friday Saturday with rough starts and then Sunday night it wouldn’t start…. Adying cranking condition and would not start! I cleaned the negative terminal and the ground stud on the dipstickbracket since it was wet form the heater control breaking and spraying antifreezeonto it (probably the starter too). I chargedthe battery, checked the fuel rail for pressure there seems to be pressure inthe run position when pushing the valve in a burst of fuel came out. After the pressure was relieved I turned itoff and put it back in the run position and checked it again and there was asmall burst of fuel come out. Fuel pumpwas replaced twice (the second time was a defective pump).

Any suggestions or anyone have similar experiencewith this and what was the fix? It is along shot but I have had good luck in the past posting problems and gettingthings fixed.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:56 AM

Received 268 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

check alternator output
check starter

If the battery is going dead after a few days it may indicate a charging problem, I.E. alternator. If you do get it running again, see what the charging voltage is to the battery...that will give you a start on what direction to go. My Jeep had hard cranking like the battery was dying and it turned out to be the starter. Both of these can be checked at a local parts store.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:11 AM

Model: Cherokee

i did an overhaul engine change including all the sensors but my 1998 jeep cherokee j wont start,it cranks but wont start.the fuel doesnt get to the injectors yet it gets to the rail.what could be the problem that my jeep wont start.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:23 PM

Last night I cleaned and reassembled the battery ground cabel, ground strap on the dip stick bracket and all the starter connections. First time it started as normal so I turned it off and it wouldnt start unless I held the gas pedal down somewhat. There is pressure in the fuel rail I am thinking it maybe the crank position sensor. I think I have replace the throttle position sensor but not sure...

Last edited by bagelluvr; 01-12-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:48 PM

Update: After cleaning all the grounds I could find I took the Jeep back to autozone and tested the battery and they said it was bad. They pro rated my 3 year old battery (had a 5 year warranty) and I paid the difference and now it starts. Lets see if this is the fix or just a bandaid. thanks for all your repies.