Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Strange occurence

Old 03-28-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Strange occurence

I got this 97 out of some dude's yard a year ago. It sat for 2 years cuz the PO thought it had a bad fuel pump. I trailered it home, inserted a fuse into the ECM slot on the fuse box (it had none) and have been driving it ever since. It had a pin hole in the gas tank so all the gas was gone for the entire time it was sitting. On one occasion last week I parked at a gas station, went in for a drink, came back out and restarted the Jeep. It had a terrible miss and wouldn't rev past and idle. It would move in gear so I pulled into anothe parking spot and tried to rev it up. I wouldn't pass 1k on the tach. I then floored it and it sputtered and died. I started it back up and never had a problem since. This was a good 700 miles and 50+ starts ago. The only thing that has ever acted up on it is the fuel gauge which has on 2 occasions fell to E for no apparent reason then continued reading correctly. It is always has a long crank period when it hasn't been ran for over an hour (o ring on fuel pump I'm certain) but it runs perfect otherwise. By perfect I mean 20 mpg driving like a stole it and outrunning a 360 magnum dakota and a 08 4.3 Silverado (not saying much). Anyone have a clue? It would help if it would mess up a little more often for diagnostic purposes but it refuses. Never had a CEL except for when my patch job on the gas tank didn't hold and it threw some EVAP code BS.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:26 PM

52 and nobody has a clue. I'm gonna keep bumping this cuz I'm curious if anyone ever had this problem
Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 PM

Year: 1997

I had the same problem once as well. Hasn't happened since and that was 6K miles ago. If it hasn't happened in 50+ starts why are you worrying? Mark it off as a fluke and forget it.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Throttle Junkie
I had the same problem once as well. Hasn't happened since and that was 6K miles ago. If it hasn't happened in 50+ starts why are you worrying? Mark it off as a fluke and forget it.
I just tend to worry about things I can't explain and don't have time to diagnose
Old 03-29-2012, 07:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

Not to be ugly but dude you sound like my ex. everytime her vehicle made any type of different noise she wanted to run it to the dealer.
But seriously, it only happened once and that was 700 miles ago. That could have been anything under the sun that caused that. I'm gonn aagree with throttle and say forget about it. If it even does it again then maybe worry about it but for now have fun with it and stop stressing yourself. Life's too short dude, Relax!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by gpeade
Not to be ugly but dude you sound like my ex. everytime her vehicle made any type of different noise she wanted to run it to the dealer.
But seriously, it only happened once and that was 700 miles ago. That could have been anything under the sun that caused that. I'm gonn aagree with throttle and say forget about it. If it even does it again then maybe worry about it but for now have fun with it and stop stressing yourself. Life's too short dude, Relax!
HAA HAAAA
Sorry for laughing but that is funny. That was the same way my ex wife use to be too.
Anyways, I had the same problem on my XJ. It did it once about 20k miles ago. never did it again.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:55 AM

Year: 1987

Bad ground at the fuel pump?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

maybe the o-rings in the injectors were dry and contracted, then with some fuel softening them up, they seat and seal fine now.

try twisting the fuel injectors back and forth while it's running to see if it changes anything.

otherwise, fuhgettaboutit
Old 03-29-2012, 09:38 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by caged
maybe the o-rings in the injectors were dry and contracted, then with some fuel softening them up, they seat and seal fine now.

try twisting the fuel injectors back and forth while it's running to see if it changes anything.

otherwise, fuhgettaboutit

MINE DOES THIS KINDA OFTEN CHANGED INJECTORS THREE TIMES AND O RINGS ALL I HAVE TO DO TO FIX IT IS WIGGLE THE INJECTORS DISCONNECT THE CONNECTORS SOMETIMES WORKS TOO
Old 03-29-2012, 05:05 PM

So sorry for wanting to be absolutely certain my vehicle is gonna run properly every time I get in it. I'll make certain to avoid consulting the forum next time something strange goes wrong with my jeep. Well have fun telling dumb a$$ newbies the vacuum reserve ***** are flux capacitors guys. Thanks for the input for those of you who actually provided it
Old 03-30-2012, 07:43 AM

Year: 1987

No man I do the same. Cars do things for a reason. Figure it out. Don't wanna be stuck on the trails like an idiot.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by XJdryva
into the ECM slot on the fuse box (it had none)...... I wouldn't pass 1k on the tach. I then floored it and it sputtered and died.
You don't have an ECM, ECU till 90, PCM, 91 on>. A little bad gas would explain it. When the ethanol separates, an engine will run on it sometimes, but like doogie.

I know for sure I was buying crap from my local Chevron. (I have over a gallon if it in a jug under the porch) Burns and kills dandelions, but makes me pretty grumpy when it's in my generator.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 03-30-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
You don't have an ECM, ECU till 90, PCM, 91 on>. A little bad gas would explain it. When the ethanol separates, an engine will run on it sometimes, but like doogie.

I know for sure I was buying crap from my local Chevron. (I have over a gallon if it in a jug under the porch) Burns and kills dandelions, but makes me pretty grumpy when it's in my generator.
Ok lets just call it a computer for arguments sake. The non Ethanol stuff is hard to come by around here and it usually costs as much as diesel so I guess I'll just deal with it