Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Strange noise coming from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter
Default Strange noise coming from engine bay

Hey guys, so I have a 1991 Cherokee Limited, and I have this weird sound coming from the upper left corner (Looking at the engine bay head on). It's only there when the key is in the On position. I'm not sure what is actually there so it's hard to troubleshoot why a part is making a noise, when you don't know what part it is. Here's a link to a video of the noise:http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/th...c08dd.mp4.html
Old 01-01-2014, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Sounds like blower motor blade hitting something.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Do you think its something that I should worry about? After you mentioned that I turned the jeep on and turned the blower motor on high and the sound actually quieted down some.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

What about with the blower off, does the sound goes away?
Old 01-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Nope, that video was taken with the blower completely off. Its strange that the noise quiets down a bit when the blower is on. Is there anything else over there that could be making that noise? By the way the blower, heat, and air-conditioning all work great.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ThatDude114
Nope, that video was taken with the blower completely off. Its strange that the noise quiets down a bit when the blower is on. Is there anything else over there that could be making that noise? By the way the blower, heat, and air-conditioning all work great.
Unplug the blower motor see if it stops.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by freegdr
Unplug the blower motor see if it stops.

Yep.

Do you think its something that I should worry about?

Unexplained noises can be bad things happening. You don't know until you know.

Ignore it, and you might be ignoring something that could have been fixed for twenty bucks, but since you let it go, now it's two hundred.

You don't know until you know.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Yep.

Unexplained noises can be bad things happening. You don't know until you know.

Ignore it, and you might be ignoring something that could have been fixed for twenty bucks, but since you let it go, now it's two hundred.

You don't know until you know.
Deff a possible fire hazard if some thing shorted, dash switch ?
Old 01-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Update: So I unplugged the blower motor, checked the wiring, and cleaned the dash switch. The noise is still there, however I know where the noise is coming from next to the blower motor under that protective plate theres a little motor or something and what kinda looks like a solenoid, that "motor" is what's making the noise. But I have no clue what it is, you can see it in the video, it has a little red plate that says caution or something. If this helps at any I have a Limited, Abs, tow package, and my check antilock light is on(However it goes if i click the emergency brake up 3 or more notches) maybe that'll help locate what the part is. Thanks as usual guys!
Attached Thumbnails Strange noise coming from engine bay-forumrunner_20140102_203947.jpg   Strange noise coming from engine bay-forumrunner_20140102_204022.jpg  
Old 01-03-2014, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

Abs pump possibly?
Old 01-03-2014, 01:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by dalzubbi
Abs pump possibly?
It looks like you hit it right on the button actually. I looked up a picture of the ABS pump and that's what's under there. Anyone know why it'd be making that sound? And how much do you think one of them would cost used? Or could I just take off or disable the ABS?

Last edited by ThatDude114; 01-03-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Lucky you, that's the infamous Bendix 9 ABS. You have a blown piston seal, causing the ABS pump to run continuously.
On the plus side, there's a Lifetime warranty on the pistons, pump and certain other parts. Take it to the dealership. You may have to stand your ground, they don't seem to enjoy seeing those come in for repairs.

Do NOT put off maintenance on that system, ABS failure in that nightmare can cause a complete brake failure. Fix it or remove it.
Removal is more complicated than just yanking a fuse, the ABS pump also provides the power brake boost. You have to remove everything down to the brake lines and install a booster/master cylinder from a newer XJ. 96+ preferred.

The accumulators store a few thousand pounds of pressure, before you do any work on the system, bleed that pressure off by stomping the brake pedal 20-30 times with the engine off.

Here's the recall/warranty info:

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 96V260000 - Hide Details
Recall Data: 12/27/1996
Components: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK
Units Affected: 52000
1991 JEEP CHEROKEE SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK
Recall Date: 12/27/1996

Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS). THE ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) HYDRAULIC CONTROL UNIT CAN EXPERIENCE EXCESSIVE BRAKE ACTUATOR PISTON SEAL WEAR WHICH COULD CAUSE PUMP-MOTOR DETERIORATION.

Consequence:
IF THIS OCCURS, THE ABS FUNCTION WOULD BE LOSE AND REDUCED POWER ASSIST WOULD BE EXPERIENCED DURING VEHICLE BRAKING. THE INSTRUMENT PANEL WARNING LIGHTS WILL SIGNAL SYSTEM IMPAIRMENT AND THE BASE MANUAL BRAKES WILL REMAIN FUNCTIONAL.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL TEST THE VEHICLE'S ABS AND REPAIR AS NECESSARY. THE WARRANTY ON ALL ABS COMPONENTS WILL BE EXTENDED TO 10 YEARS OR 100,000 MILES (EXCEPT FOR THE BRAKE ACTUATOR PISTON ASSEMBLY AND THE PUMP-MOTOR ASSEMBLY WHICH WILL HAVE A LIFETIME COVERAGE). OWNERS WILL BE REIMBURSED FOR PREVIOUS ABS COMPONENT REPAIR COSTS.

Potential Units Affected: 52000

Notes: JEEP CHEROKEE 702

Last edited by Radi; 01-03-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Well unfortunately the Jeep dealership we had here moved so the closest one is an hour away down a really steep hill. However, I called the dealership and they said that it wouldn't be a problem to fix it and they'd just have to order parts. Do you think the drive down there would be something to worry about? Also because I've never really dealt with recalls before, would they reimburse me if I had the work done at a more local and easy to get to shop, sorry if that's a stupid question guys. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ThatDude114; 01-03-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

the Jeep dealership we had here moved so the closest one is an hour away down a really steep hill. .... Do you think the drive down there would be something to worry about?
Ugh. Not good.

Well, are you having any brake problems now? What's the speed limit on that steep hill? Can you safely take it really slow, or is it a busy highway?

Also because I've never really dealt with recalls before, would they reimburse me if I had the work done at a more local and easy to get to shop, sorry if that's a stupid question guys.

That is not a stupid question. It's a good one.

I think it's worth looking into, but really, the only people who can give you a solid answer are at the dealership. I suggest you call them back and explain the situation, and see what they say.

My guess is that a recall isn't going to be covered unless the dealership does it, but that's just my guess.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark

Ugh. Not good.

Well, are you having any brake problems now? What's the speed limit on that steep hill? Can you safely take it really slow, or is it a busy highway?

That is not a stupid question. It's a good one.

I think it's worth looking into, but really, the only people who can give you a solid answer are at the dealership. I suggest you call them back and explain the situation, and see what they say.

My guess is that a recall isn't going to be covered unless the dealership does it, but that's just my guess.
The brake pedal is pretty stiff, even though I just did a brake job. I believe its 55mph? And its probably between 3 and 5 miles long and ends at a bridge on the river. Its a pretty busy highway, not like LA but still busy. I just drove it on a different highway going 55 and it did fine, I'm able to stop, I just gotta press pretty hard. I'd tow it down but I don't have anything powerful enough to pull it back up the hill.

Quick Reply: Strange noise coming from engine bay