Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Strange blower motor operation

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Strange blower motor operation

I'm having some issues with my blower motor in my 2000 XJ. It's a little bit of a long read so hang in there please.

A little history first. I had lost the 3rd speed on the blower fan and replaced the blower motor resistor. It worked fine for a couple of weeks.

It did it again and replaced it again. The next time it did it I noticed the plug was ever so slightly melted so I replaced the plug, the blower motor switch and the blower motor.....problem solved....until I tried to use the AC the other day.

Now, only on max air (the recirculating function) and only with the temp dial turned to the coldest setting and on speed 4......the blower motor (Not the compressor) will cycle on and off every 20 to 30 seconds. When it happens, no amount of messing with the ac controls will help. Just a dead blower motor.

The ac compressor will stay engaged when the blower fan kicks off.

It will happen within a minute or two of turning on the ac to the max setting and speed while still blowing semi cool air and continue until I get mad and turn it down a speed.

If I run it at speed 3, it's ok. On regular ac, it's ok. Turn the temp dial to the midway point, it's ok. On the heat settings, it's ok.

So......what could be turning off my blower motor every 30 seconds or so while turned to max air on speed 4, temp dial to max cool?

Any suggestions?
Old 06-09-2014, 05:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Flowpro
I'm having some issues with my blower motor in my 2000 XJ. It's a little bit of a long read so hang in there please.

A little history first. I had lost the 3rd speed on the blower fan and replaced the blower motor resistor. It worked fine for a couple of weeks.

It did it again and replaced it again. The next time it did it I noticed the plug was ever so slightly melted so I replaced the plug, the blower motor switch and the blower motor.....problem solved....until I tried to use the AC the other day.

Now, only on max air (the recirculating function) and only with the temp dial turned to the coldest setting and on speed 4......the blower motor (Not the compressor) will cycle on and off every 20 to 30 seconds. When it happens, no amount of messing with the ac controls will help. Just a dead blower motor.

The ac compressor will stay engaged when the blower fan kicks off.

It will happen within a minute or two of turning on the ac to the max setting and speed while still blowing semi cool air and continue until I get mad and turn it down a speed.

If I run it at speed 3, it's ok. On regular ac, it's ok. Turn the temp dial to the midway point, it's ok. On the heat settings, it's ok.

So......what could be turning off my blower motor every 30 seconds or so while turned to max air on speed 4, temp dial to max cool?

Any suggestions?
Go here and study post #42.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/gre...e-6558/index3/

The odd blower motor activity could mean a defective Climate Control panel. They're available on ebay. '99-'01 same panel.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CCKen
Go here and study post #42.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/gre...e-6558/index3/

The odd blower motor activity could mean a defective Climate Control panel. They're available on ebay. '99-'01 same panel.
I read the above mentioned post and didn't see any mention of a blower motor fan......just the electric engine fan. Maybe I missed something. It was very informative though. Thanks. It would have helped me out last summer.

Maybe I'll try to check for power at various wires on the control panel or see if a junk yard has one to swap out.

I've checked for burnt connectors on the control panel last time I lost fan speed #3. Looked ok.

Any other ideas?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Flowpro
I read the above mentioned post and didn't see any mention of a blower motor fan......just the electric engine fan. Maybe I missed something. It was very informative though. Thanks. It would have helped me out last summer.

Maybe I'll try to check for power at various wires on the control panel or see if a junk yard has one to swap out.

I've checked for burnt connectors on the control panel last time I lost fan speed #3. Looked ok.

Any other ideas?
Go to the same thread, only page 4, post #47. It has schematics of your HVAC blower and blend door crcuits.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/gre...e-6558/index4/
Old 06-10-2014, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CCKen
Go to the same thread, only page 4, post #47. It has schematics of your HVAC blower and blend door crcuits.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/gre...e-6558/index4/
I knew you wouldn't steer me wrong. I was looking for that wiring diagram last night. Thanks.