Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

stop leak in 96 Cherokee sport?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default stop leak in 96 Cherokee sport?

Has anyone used Lucas stop leak or bars stop leak, or any other for that matter? My transmission and oil have minor leaks (according to Jiffy Lube) Had lube done in Oct. was a quart low on tranny fluid last week, so it's not SO minor. My Chilton says never use that stuff but can't afford to fix it right now. If I can't use that, should I get under there, find the leak and use a heat tempered sealant? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks t all!
Old 01-03-2015, 04:13 PM

Find the leak. Fixing it may be easier than you think.

s
Old 01-03-2015, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Pamelou
Has anyone used Lucas stop leak or bars stop leak, or any other for that matter? My transmission and oil have minor leaks (according to Jiffy Lube) Had lube done in Oct. was a quart low on tranny fluid last week, so it's not SO minor. My Chilton says never use that stuff but can't afford to fix it right now. If I can't use that, should I get under there, find the leak and use a heat tempered sealant? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks t all!
U say "lube done in Oct"......does that mean motor oil & filter?....or does that mean the tranny was serviced as well? Did u check the tranny yourself in both Oct and Dec? Devils in the details.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:37 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I've used Bars....never added the whole bottle tho....but it worked well.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:37 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

D/M3 fluid is $15 a gallon. Way cheaper than pouring some terrible stop leak stuff into your transmission. Top her off until you can fix it, and maybe throw a pan under there so you don't kill all the neighborhood wildlife!
Old 01-03-2015, 06:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987

Lucas steering stop leak works well. I wouldn't trust it in any other major system, it's a bandaid fix at best.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 high output, Alabama Cylinder head, 60mm bored TB

DO NOT use stop leak in any system of your vehicle if you want to keep it. Think about this for a second: the stop leak is designed to clog little tiny holes. This means it can clog heater cores, radiators, water passages in the engine block and head, etc. You will also never get it completely out. I've seen stop leak cause thousands of dollars in damage when the person could have just replaced a leaking radiator. If your vehicle is worth anything to you, keep it far away from stop leak.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:43 AM

Year: 1990

I wouldn't trust Jiffy lube to even check my oil and definitely not to diagnose anything. Are you finding drips? Do you know where it's leaking from? Either way, I've used Blue Devil stop leak with good results on many things. You can buy the 'transmission formula' and use it for trans., eng., P.S., etc. Their transmission stop leak comes in a big bottle and is cheaper per ounce than the others and is the same stuff according to the reps I talked to. After many miles/hours in several vehicles I've yet to experience a problem with it, it doesn't always fix a leak, but hasn't made any worse.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:15 AM

Smile

Thanks so much for all the replies people, I will take each and everyone into consideration. And by the way, Jiffy lube only filled fluids, and lubed moving parts, checked tires. When I took it to them, after overheating, it smelled like a hot iron, radiator fluid, and exhaust, all at once. i can see the two spots where it is dripping. When I put cardboard or a bucket under it, the wind always blows it away.( windy here) I tried! I replaced the cat a couple of month ago, and think I need to replace an 02 sensor,(intake) which I THINK explains the exhaust odor. Radiator fluid all over the engine explains that odor. The hot iron odor disappeared after fluids were filled. But I'm concerned with engine leaks that may kill my rig should they worsen while driving. Thanks to everyone.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:13 AM

Smile

OK, after reading these replies, I went to you tube, checked on how to flush transmission fluid and change filter. I've decided to go with this before anything else. looks like something I can do. As I recall, the pan underneath, looks a bit bent, not a snug fit, although not leaking, could very well use a seal and new fluid and filter. Very good, thanks SO much.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:25 PM

Year: 1990

There is no intake O2 sensor, they're always in the exhaust. OBD2 will have upstream and downstream sensors. Upstream sends a signal to correct air/fuel ratio and downstream monitors the catalytic converter function.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:32 PM

Year: 96

Check.it your self that Lucas stuff messed my engine up
Old 01-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999 Limited
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

more like Iffy Lube, man up and do it yourself.