Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stop and go shuddering issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Eli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Question Stop and go shuddering issue

After I drive for awhile (maybe an hour or so) right before I come to a complete stop (literally the instant before) the vehicle shudders mildly. Then the instant I accelerate I get the same thing. It feels like it's making an extremely weak attempt at stalling but just for a split second. It doesn't do it while I'm idling or while I'm driving. Once the Jeep sits for a while and everything cools off it goes back to driving the way it should without any problems.

Here's a list of what I have and the issues I've noticed if it will be of any help to anybody:

2001 Sport, 4.0 I6, 125000 miles, 3" lift is the only mod, all gauges work with no indication of trouble there, minor oil leak (losing about a quarter of a quart of 3-4 months), burns(?) maybe a quart of coolant every 3-4 months, all other fluids are good (TC etc..), everything under the hood sounds normal, need to get the exhaust checked the hangars broke so I replaced them and noticed a black ring around the outside of the tailpipe that I didn't notice before, the CEL comes and goes randomly (cylinder 3 misfire and vacuum leak is the other if I remember correctly), heat soak is experienced occasionally and I was wondering if this issue is related to the heat soak issue because it's fine once it cools off but it happens even when I don't experience the poor start up from heat soak. If it's not related does anybody have a suggestion as to what might be causing it?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

recently my 99xj had been hesitating under light throttle, and sometimes at a stop it would act as though it wanted to stall... the TPS, throttle pos. sensor might be the culprit. for my xj its about 75 bucks... but so far unplugging it a couple of times seems to have cleared up the problem. there were no codes being thrown, either. something to try: w/ jeep running, go under the hood and pull the throttle cable out just a bit and hold it steady to see how the throttle actually responds. (you might want to unplug a/c so it doesnt kick in and cause the idle to increase) if, when throttle is open ONLY slightly, the rev is speratic, or in my case, revving to 3k and the revs dont drop down right away, kinda holding for a second, then dropping to normal, you have probably found your problem... hopefully...
Old 10-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Eli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely give it a shot first thing tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

if not the tps, then the fuel pump is a good possibility. if its an in-tank, and not in-line setup, your looking at around 200.
but starting with the tps and in general the throttle bodies cleanliness is a hell of a lot cheaper.